• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

USB 3 B

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mini M1 16 gig and Air 2018 8 gig
I got a USB 3 powered hub recently and was surprised to see that the cable was a USB 3/A to what looks like a type B printer end with an additional block on top...
I had never seen one before but I am always a few years behind on tech...is that the new 3/B end or is it proprietary to Sabrent ...? is the added hump on the top for power or additional data...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I got a USB 3 powered hub recently and was surprised to see that the cable was a USB 3/A to what looks like a type B printer end with an additional block on top...
I had never seen one before but I am always a few years behind on tech...is that the new 3/B end or is it proprietary to Sabrent ...? is the added hump on the top for power or additional data...?
Hello - a posted pic or at least a link to the exact model would help us understand your questions better - Dave :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If it looks like this...been around a long time (1996):

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 12.14.53 PM.png

Nick

krs

Reaction score
I think the OP means this:

USB 3B.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
is that the new 3/B end or is it proprietary to Sabrent

The new standard:
A USB 3.0 Standard-B receptacle accepts either a USB 3.0 Standard-B plug or a USB 2.0 Standard-B plug. Backward compatibility applies to connecting a USB 2.0 Standard-B plug into a USB 3.0 Standard-B receptacle. However, it is not possible to plug a USB 3.0 Standard-B plug into a USB 2.0 Standard-B receptacle, due to a physically larger connector. The Standard-B is used at the device side.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Guys - the OP needs to tell and/or show us which gizmo he bought! This guessing is of little value IMO - Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It is not proprietary to Sabrent, it is a standard type B connector. There is no additional data. There are only four contacts in the USB A end. So, only four lines on the other end, no matter how the end is shaped. You can see the various connectors in this article:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Guys - the OP needs to tell and/or show us which gizmo he bought! This guessing is of little value IMO - Dave

Quite right, including the right information and description helps to get a proper answer, but I think the information the OP did supply was adequate for one to make a proper assessment and judgment.

And there's only a single USB connector that comes close to their description as posted by krs in their #4 posting and the included image.

- Patrick
=======

krs

Reaction score
It is not proprietary to Sabrent, it is a standard type B connector. There is no additional data. There are only four contacts in the USB A end.
Sorry, but that is not correct.
4 contacts on the USB connector are only used up the USB 2 speeds.
For USB 3 speeds, which is what this thread is about, 9 contacts are used. This is also clearly shown in the link posted.
:
You can see the various connectors in this article:

OP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mini M1 16 gig and Air 2018 8 gig
KRS is correct....solved

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, but that is not correct.
4 contacts on the USB connector are only used up the USB 2 speeds.
For USB 3 speeds, which is what this thread is about, 9 contacts are used. This is also clearly shown in the link posted.
:
Interesting. I've never seen a nine pin USB-A socket, so I have no idea where that cable would be used. Oh, well. tech is fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Interesting. I've never seen a nine pin USB-A socket, so I have no idea where that cable would be used. Oh, well. tech is fun.
This got me thinking, so looking down a USB -A (2.0) cable the 4 contacts are clearly seen, however looking at my USB-a (3.0) cable on my external drive, you can see the row of 4 and a row of 5 contacts. The other end has the Micro-B SuperSpeed connection.

krs

Reaction score
I never saw Jake's post or I would have replied sooner.
All the Macs with USB-3 ports wll have a 9-pin USB-A socket so that it is backwards compatible with USB 1.1, USB 2 and USB 3.
The cable I have received with every USB-3 external drive has a USB-A (9-pin) conector that plugs into the USB port on the Mac and a USB-3 Micro connector that plugs into the USB-3 external drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All the Macs with USB-3 ports wll have a 9-pin USB-A socket so that it is backwards compatible with USB 1.1, USB 2 and USB 3.
I don't think so. The 9 pin USB socket is much larger than any I have ever seen on a Mac. Are you thinking about the standard four-pin USB-A socket? This is the 9 pin:
Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 1.57.56 PM.jpg

What Mac has that socket?

krs

Reaction score
I don't think so. The 9 pin USB socket is much larger than any I have ever seen on a Mac. Are you thinking about the standard four-pin USB-A socket? This is the 9 pin:
View attachment 37907

What Mac has that socket?
What you are showing is a USB type B connector.
USB type B connectors are typically used on peripherals like a printer, not on the computer side.

I'm talking about a USB type A connector.
The one that provdes the "Super speed" has the 4 + 5 contacts in the standard USB type A housing, the little plastic piece in the USB-3 type A connector is blue to indicate "super speed", the "high speed" plastic piece is white.

Maybe the Wiki helps:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Never saw that before. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.