Upper menu bar on Big Sur

Reaction score
I just got my new iMac and found out the the upper menu bar is very small and its size cannot be changes. I addition, the test type changes to a different language without my request. I need help for both. Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I don't believe the top bar is very customizable from a size perspective. The Dock can be resized, however. I don't know if there is a 3rd party app that can change the top bar for you.

What does "test type" mean?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums. Thank you for your post.

the test type changes to a different language without my request.

That sounds bizarre. Would you mind awfully, giving us the maximum detail about this, please? When it happens, how it happens and the circumstances that occasion this.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 5K 27" i9 3.6Ghz. 3TB, 8Gb, Vega 48, Sonoma, 15 Pro Max, iPad M1, MBP M1, AppleTV, Watches
I have taken a look and you "can" increase the Menu bar font. Unfortunately I did not see the difference from Default to Large. ( System Preferences / Accessibility / Display - "Menu Bar Size").
Can you check your Display resolution is "Default for Display" I don't know what screen size you have. You can turn on Hover text to help you, but again we don't know what you want to achieve. It's small for a reason, not to take up too much screen estate.
How old is your "New" iMac ?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's an interesting setting that doesn't have any effect. I wonder if there is another criteria that needs to be met before the size will actually increase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
The help for that option says:
You must log out and log in again to see the change in menu bar font size.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 5K 27" i9 3.6Ghz. 3TB, 8Gb, Vega 48, Sonoma, 15 Pro Max, iPad M1, MBP M1, AppleTV, Watches
Did not work here Jake 💁🏻‍♂️

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Screenshot 2021-08-13 at 10.26.40 am☀️.png

Screenshot 2021-08-13 at 10.27.07 am☀️.png
That's what it says ;) :)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Depending on the macOS version, the Menu bar size selection may not be there. I don't know when it came in, but it's not in Mojave.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, the OP, @bgsimson, has not come back to us. We don't know which Mac the person has. Also, there was a second question asked:

the test type changes to a different language without my request. I need help for both.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, the OP, @bgsimson, has not come back to us. We don't know which Mac the person has. Also, there was a second question asked:

Ian
How do you feel when someone ask for help, is given freely and sometimes with great forethought and time, and the OP disappears. I think there should be a period of time passes before anyone can ask a question or even participate with several answers to this forum when they join.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
How do you feel when someone ask for help, is given freely and sometimes with great forethought and time, and the OP disappears. I think there should be a period of time passes before anyone can ask a question or even participate with several answers to this forum when they join.
You are fairly new here. This is a very flexible site. Some folks post, disappear for weeks or even months. That's OK, we just move on to help the next person.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Relax, Paul :) ;). We are here whatever. And in absolute fairness, there can be, and have been, very genuine reasons for the gap in replies.

The only difficulty we face during a break in communications is that new theories, new ideas, come from our members to fill the vacuum which can muddy the waters a bit. Takes longer to get back on track later on.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well from a newbie I just need to calm down a bit, thanks guys for the feedback.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well from a newbie I just need to calm down a bit, thanks guys for the feedback.

Yes you do, your attitude is going to generate a lot of negative content here. People come here with their questions, if we have the answers, we provide them. Hopefully it helps them and if they never come back, that's fine too. We provide help to others.

You aren't being asked to moderate the posts or members, so leave that part to the staff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini ,Mac Air Pro, iPad Mini, Apple TV
I have taken a look and you "can" increase the Menu bar font. Unfortunately I did not see the difference from Default to Large. ( System Preferences / Accessibility / Display - "Menu Bar Size").
Can you check your Display resolution is "Default for Display" I don't know what screen size you have. You can turn on Hover text to help you, but again we don't know what you want to achieve. It's small for a reason, not to take up too much screen estate.
How old is your "New" iMac ?
I followed your instructions and rebooted. I am not sure of any effect. I got a notice that update was available for Big Sur. I updated and as it rebotted I got a message that said "dfisplay size changed". The upper menu bar now looks clearer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2005 G4 Mini & 2014 Mini & 2020 M1 Mini
Press the command key and put the mouse pointer over/just under the area you want enlarged.. This zooms in. You may need to go to settings, accessibility, zoom and check enable hover over text. to activate this, but I think it was default.

Remember, even though the OP may not return this still helps others who may read this who have the same question.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Just a guess here, but I think the OP may have been referring to "Text Type" as he says, "the test type changes to a different language." Obviously this is a very different problem and would indicate some problem related to language settings. Until we know more it's all conjecture.:) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a guess here, but I think the OP may have been referring to "Text Type" as he says, "the test type changes to a different language." Obviously this is a very different problem and would indicate some problem related to language settings. Until we know more it's all conjecture.:) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wonder if he/she uses a VPN Rod?

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I was yhinking of Keyboard or Language settings but yeah, who knows?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.