Upgrade to new MacMini or Macbook White ???

Reaction score
My first mac after migrating form the pc world thanks to the intel transition, An Intel Core Solo Mac Mini has been serving me since 2006 beautifully, i only upgraded its ram from 512 to 2 gb since i had an external hdd, 22 inch lcd and Sony dvd writer, but ofcourse its showing it age in an HighDef age ;) ...

So i am thinking of either getting a new Mac Mini or a Mac Book White

Mac Mini specs 600 $ + 70 $ + 80 $ = 750 $

2.0 ghz , 1 gb ddr 3 ram , 120 gb HDD , nvidia 9400M + new wireless apple mouse an keyboard

Mac Bool White specs 1000 $

2.1 ghz , 2 gb ddr 2 ram , 160 gb HDD , nvidia 9400M

My uses are iwork, ilife, movies, music & internet on the mini, i am not a gamer but i plan on getting autocad on my mac so is the nvidia 9400 any good for basic 3d rendering and presentations, i will use 22 inch lcd from my current setup when i get a new mac mini or macbook, so i want to know which is a better package ?

Second Question, since i plan on selling my old mini and see how my budget works, i am currently on 600 $ budget, selling my mac mini would certainly help me decide if i should get a new mac mini or mac book white this month, or wait a little bit longer to save more money ?

Whats your advice ?

my Intel Core Solo Mini specs are

1.5 ghz 667 fsb, 2 gb 667 ddr2 ram ( kingston ram, upgraded by me upon purchase ), 60 gb 5400 HDD, intel gma 950, combo dvd drive and the rest of standard features ... original discs , remote,dvi to vga plug and original packaging included, plus apple white wireless keyboard ( 2006 ), and usb mighty mouse that i am using ( should i put them on sale with the mini as a package ? )

I am in NY, how much should i charge for it ( i never sold a computer before, let alone a MAC !, your forums indicate a healthy resale market for macs :$ ), and where are the best places to sell it ( offline and online ) ?

Thanks for reading and i am hoping to to get the best advice for my second mac purchase :D

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, the website stated 200 $ for the mac mini, is that a good price for it, or should i search somewhere else too, i cant gauge the proper price but 200 $ seems like a good starting point :)

as for the media center, i already have a ps3 for my occasional gaming and movie watching, so the mac mini as a second computer would be too much, i asked around and was told the nvidia is good for autocad rendering, the macbook seems like a good option, but would still need to sell my mini before i get anything ...

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Is there any particular reason why you are considering a MB instead of a desktop?

You can get an iMac refurbished the same price as the MB and it has better specs. Dedicated GPU, a larger HDD, and obviously a larger screen.

OP
N
Reaction score
I want something small between 750 and 1000 $, i travel alot, and the macmini served me well as it was small and mobile enough, a macbook has similar specs, the only refurb imac for a 1000 $ also has the nvidia 9400 & is a 20 " size, i already have a 22 inch lcd, and the imac is an overkill for my needs at the moment anyway ...

anyway, i am still deciding between the macmini and the mac book, i went to the store and saw them both, still confused :Confused: about which one to get, anyway can anyone gauge my old mac mini price and tell me about websites i can put it up for sale in :D

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I want something small between 750 and 1000 $, i travel alot, and the macmini served me well as it was small and mobile enough, a macbook has similar specs, the only refurb imac for a 1000 $ also has the nvidia 9400 & is a 20 " size, i already have a 22 inch lcd, and the imac is an overkill for my needs at the moment anyway ...

anyway, i am still deciding between the macmini and the mac book, i went to the store and saw them both, still confused :Confused: about which one to get, anyway can anyone gauge my old mac mini price and tell me about websites i can put it up for sale in :D

You already got a quote from mac2sell, did you not?

If you need mobility by all means go with a 13" MB. If you are going to go with a macmini you need to carry around a monitor with you too. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.