Unable to download previously purchased Apple Store music

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
iMac 2019 iMac. Sonoma 14.1.2 O/S. 75% free space on 1TB drive.

How can I download music previously purchased from the Apple Store?

I had to have the drive (Apple Store) reformated and reload the complete OS several weeks ago and some of my music files are missing.

Even if I try to repurchase the album(s) I'm looking for, the purchase is grayed out and states "Previously Purchased". Missing a fair amount of music even though it was backed up.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Can you explain what you mean by, "I had to have the drive (Apple Store) reformated" The Apple Store is just a data base for the native Music app, you can't reformat it, although you obviously can reformat your Mac HD.

How was it backed up? If you had Time Machine for example, they will be in the same corresponding location as your on your Mac ie. Macintosh HD > Users > User name (your name) > Music > Music > Music.

If you have another type of backup the location might vary but a search for Music should reveal your Library.

Last edited:
OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
Can you explain what you mean by, "I had to have the drive (Apple Store) reformated" The Apple Store is just a data base for the native Music app, you can't reformat it, although you obviously can reformat your Mac HD.

How was it backed up? If you had Time Machine for example, they will be in the same corresponding location as your on your Mac ie. Macintosh HD > Users > User name (your name) > Music > Music > Music.

If you have another type of backup the location might vary but a search for Music should reveal your Library.
The hard drive on my iMac was re-formatted then a completely new OS was installed. It was done at my local Apple store after I brought it in because of issues of very very slow performance - as an example, it would literally take 10 minutes to completely start up.

Music was backed up, but some songs from previously downloaded to the Music app or prior downloads from iTunes were missing.

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You did not mention how you restored you data?
Regardless, your previous Music should have been restored if it was purchased from the Music Store but you may need to check if the iMac is still Authorised for purchases.
Open the Music app and click on Account in the menu bar. Scroll down to Authorisations and click Authorise This Computer.

Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 7.32.49 am.png

It may say it was previously Authorised and will Authorise again. It will also tell you how many devices you have Authorised. If you have exceeded the allowed devices limit you may need to Unauthorise previous devices in Manage my Devices on your iTunes Account page, especially if you no longer have those devices.

You can check your details from the Account Settings found in the same pull down menu pictured above.

Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 7.42.55 am.png

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
You did not mention how you restored you data?
Regardless, your previous Music should have been restored if it was purchased from the Music Store but you may need to check if the iMac is still Authorised for purchases.
Open the Music app and click on Account in the menu bar. Scroll down to Authorisations and click Authorise This Computer.

View attachment 39049

It may say it was previously Authorised and will Authorise again. It will also tell you how many devices you have Authorised. If you have exceeded the allowed devices limit you may need to Unauthorise previous devices in Manage my Devices on your iTunes Account page, especially if you no longer have those devices.

You can check your details from the Account Settings found in the same pull down menu pictured above.

View attachment 39050
Shown as authorized computer. yesterday Re-authorized it with no change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
How are you trying to re-download previously purchased music files?

In the Music app, select iTunes Store in the Sidebar. When the iTunes Store page opens, look on the right hand side for MUSIC QUICK LINKS. Then look for "Purchased" and click the link. It should bring you to all your purchased iTunes music. It gives you the option for "All" purchased music or "Not on this Mac". There should be a 'Download All" button, to make it quick and easy.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Here are Apple's thoughts on that situation.https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211816

I was in a similar situation several years ago. I was able to re-download previously purchased music with one exception. An item won't be available for redownload if Apple loses the right to sell that content after you purchased it. It doesn't get deleted from your device and works if you reload from a backup but it isn't available for re-download.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
An item won't be available for redownload if Apple loses the right to sell that content after you purchased it. It doesn't get deleted from your device and works if you reload from a backup but it isn't available for re-download.
That does seem to be a bit "off"

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well not really, I mean if Apple lose the rights to sell that piece of content I assume they would be obliged to remove it from their data base.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Well not really, I mean if Apple lose the rights to sell that piece of content I assume they would be obliged to remove it from their data base.
Understood, but if it has been paid for, (digitally), then Apple are obliged to provide it, or a refund.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
An interesting debate, not seen here before as far as I know.

Apple sells a "song" to me. Subsequently, Apple loses a lawsuit such that it can no longer sell that "song" in the future.

But does that mean that it must, somehow, remove that song from my collection? Hard to imagine exactly how Apple could do that. Until that happened, I would still own that "song" and play it when and where I like.

But if Apple was able to remove it from my collection, then there should be a refund.

The real issue is: if I purchased that "song", then do I still own it? If I don't, then must I "return" it somehow or promise to delete it from my Music library?

If I do still "own" it, then does Apple not have the requirement to allow me to download it again should my library become corrupted? After all, my purchase from Apple was legitimate at the time. Or was my purchase retrospectively illegal?

I wonder what Randy would say?

Ian

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I was perplexed when this happened to me. I had read that previously downloaded content could be downloaded again and that would be much faster than reloading from the DVDs I had made as a backup when I went to download one album only three or four of the thirty-plus tracks from that album were available.

I seem to recall reading that this can happen when an artist/label pulls its content from a digital archive. I suspect that, like almost everything else in law, the user's "rights" depend upon the exact circumstances involved. I do, for example, lose content provided by subscription services if I cancel the subscription.

What happened to me made sense. If I had purchased a physical CD and that copy was damaged two years later, the retailer isn't obliged to provide a free replacement. If they no longer sell it, for whatever reason, they can't provide a replacement. In that case, the story owner cannot however come into my home and confiscate the physical copy that I purchased.

I did a quick search before posting and there seems to be some confusion about what happens. I thought I remembered Audible deleting a particular book from user's libraries several years ago when they lost the rights to that book but there seems to be some confusion about that.

EDIT: Hopefully Randy can provide some insight into the current legal thinking.

Last edited:
OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
For personal reasons I've been away from this forum - nothing to do with the forum itself or anything related.

Anyway, below is a screenshot of what is my problem. In the Apple Store this is what comes up - a former purchase I made that's lost. You'll notice it says "Purchased", blocking me from downloading it or even buying it again - which I would do if able. Purchased.jpg

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So this set of disks is available for sale/download on my iTunes Music store so it's not currently unavailable for any reason.
Have you tried the process described on this Apple site? Redownload music

I just did this myself and to my surprise found several previous purchases "not in my library" on this Macbook pro. Each album had the cloud download button on the top right of the album cover, clicking that successfully downloaded said albums to my library.

Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 9.50.38 am.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.