Two El Capitan clones ? on one USB Drive

Reaction score
I cloned an installed El Capitan onto an external USB drive. The boot manager now displays two new boot drives either one of which boots to the original OS X.
The machine is Macbook with El Capitan and Windows 10 is installed by using Boot Camp.
I wonder what I did wrong. How can I get rid of one of the two identical drives on the disk manager list?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm confused. You mentioned cloning this drive…if this external drive is attached…you should be seeing two bootable drives. Are you seeing 2 bootable drives or 4? If 4…are you sure you're not getting confused by the recovery partition on each drive?

Each drive should have at least 2 bootable partitions. The "Main" bootable partition & the bootable "Recovery Partition".

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
The following shows two additional drives with the external USB drive connected to the Macbook.
IMG_0768x.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What does Disk Utility show? Your image does not show how they are connected to your mac. Usually, there is either a USB or Firewire or Thunderbolt symbol showing the connection type. I do not think either one of those clones completed successfully.

Also, it does not look like Windows is installed either.

Last edited:
OP
C
Reaction score
That is right, none of those two drives shown boots Windows. The build-in SSD on my Mackbook has 512GB capacity and the external USB SSD drive is 250GB. Does this has something to do with the problem.
The following show what the Disk Utility shows.
IMG_0769.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
OK, then, to me, it looks like the external has the OS and the Recovery partition showing. Which is correct.

What did you use to make the clone?

OP
C
Reaction score
I used Diskutility. I am worndering why the Boot Camp partition was excluded from the clone. I have not installed any app on Windows 10 so that space required for OS X and W10 is far less than 250GB which is the capacity of the external USB SSD drive.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I used iPartition. I am worndering why the Boot Camp partition was excluded from the clone. I have not installed any app on Windows 10 so that space required for OS X and W10 is far less than 250GB which is the capacity of the external USB SSD drive.

Mac cloning programs do not clone the Windows/Boot Camp drive partly due to the fact that the Windows partition has a completely different file structure. As a general rule cloning dual boot Mac/Windows systems such as your involve the following steps:

1. Clone the OS X partition using the software of your choice (Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper, etc).

2. Clone the Boot Camp partition as a separate step. You can either use your favorite Windows cloning utility while running in Boot Camp or you can use WinClone. WinClone allows you to clone the Boot Camp partition and save the resulting image file on a Mac formatted drive.

The only way I know of to clone the OS X and Windows setups simultaneously is when you are running Windows in a virtual machine setup.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.
OK, I now understand that the Mac disk utility can make a clone of OS X only and cannot make one which include the Boot Camp. Question still remains is why the two identical clone drives show up on the boot manager as in my former post above. How can I get rid of one of them?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.