Turn off two factor authentication?

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before, but no solution so far. Understand it's tied to my Apple ID. Well, what if I shut down my Apple ID and started over?

Please don't lecture me on the advantages, not interested..... looking for a solution, it's driving me nuts and shutting me down, as I don't travel with all of my devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You cannot turn off 2FA after enabling it. You can always create a new AppleID, but Apple insists on 2FA for all new accounts, so that won't get you past the issue.

Maybe if you describe what is happening we can tell you how to get 2FA working. You say you don't travel with all your devices, but what devices are you talking about? Are all of them listed as trusted devices for 2FA? For example, I have an iPhone, an iPad and a MBP and when the 2FA codes arrive, they arrive on all three because all three are "trusted" to receive them. The only time 2FA stumps me is when I'm working on my wife's account and the 2FA goes to HER iPhone, not mine.

OP
L
Reaction score
You cannot turn off 2FA after enabling it. You can always create a new AppleID, but Apple insists on 2FA for all new accounts, so that won't get you past the issue.

Maybe if you describe what is happening we can tell you how to get 2FA working. You say you don't travel with all your devices, but what devices are you talking about? Are all of them listed as trusted devices for 2FA? For example, I have an iPhone, an iPad and a MBP and when the 2FA codes arrive, they arrive on all three because all three are "trusted" to receive them. The only time 2FA stumps me is when I'm working on my wife's account and the 2FA goes to HER iPhone, not mine.
Yep, similar. About half the day, I'm not with my phone (like your wife's) so I'm stuck. Apple tells me I can't have the 2FA sent by email to my MacBook. I just hate spending the time entering passwords and codes. And occasionally Apple does not recognize my password... or they change it unknown to me. Please don't tell me this doesn't happen.... it's happens with Apple and often on a lot of forums or sites that I don't patronize often. Resetting them the last time took 5 days!

I'm right on the edge of abandoning Apple after YEARS with them and $thousands in equipment, but got to try and get more stuff done. My Samsung tablet does not have this stupid security stuff, and out performs my Ipad (never though I'd say that, as I was a die hard Apple supporter).

However, thx for the info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Try this: Go to appleid.apple.com, log in with your appleid and password. Now click on the "Account Security" button to see all of the trusted telephones and devices. I have two numbers and 5 devices listed.

Screen Shot 2022-06-25 at 3.08.20 PM.png

You can add or remove devices as you wish. Hardware has to be Apple, but I think the telephone numbers can be anything. I'm not sure because my two numbers are both in an iPhone. Note that two of my trusted devices are NOT phones--one is a Mac Mini, the other is an MBP. I get the codes in Messages on both, plus Notifications when they come it. They are logged into my Apple ID, of course.

Yes, when I get the 2FA code, all of them get the same notification. It sounds like a clock shop at noon, all of those devices sounding off at the same time. But having that many means that I get the code.

The challenge with my wife's iPhone was that she had the phone with her when I tried to do some updating on her Mac. The code went to her phone. I sorted it out after she got home by logging into her appleid account and adding her Mac to the trusted list. Now I can work on her system and the 2FA comes to where I am in addition to her iPhone. Easy fix. I would bet I could even have her 2FA codes come to MY number if I wanted them to.

I have never had Apple change a password on me, never. I can't say why you had that experience, but I can say that I've not had it happen, nor heard of it happening. But I guess something happened on your account that made it look that way.

If you don't like the security from Apple, you don't have to stick with it. But I think you'll find similar schemes in place just about everywhere, eventually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Yes, phone numbers can be landlines or other cell phone numbers, even someone else's iPhone. As long as you have access to it, you're good to go. Even friends or family if you so choose.

I set up one of my Apple IDs to use my house phone as trusted number, but I wasn't home when I needed to get the code one time. The next time I was home I switched it to my iPhone number that is registered with my other Apple ID.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
My Samsung tablet does not have this stupid security stuff, and out performs my Ipad (never though I'd say that, as I was a die hard Apple supporter).

However, thx for the info.
I understand your frustration but I don't think moving from Apple devices is going to solve this problem for you. Apple's enforcement of two-factor authentication seems to occur at the account level. I'm not sure dumping your Apple accounts would help. IIRC Google, and several other types of accounts, are moving in a similar direction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Security matters to some more than it does to others.

As for passwords changing. Apple has no reason (or incentive) to change your passwords. Which password are you referring to? Your Apple ID password, or your login password/passcode? What devices do you have?

You can turn the passcodes off for all of your devices, since you don't need the security they provide.

OP
L
Reaction score
Security matters to some more than it does to others.

As for passwords changing. Apple has no reason (or incentive) to change your passwords. Which password are you referring to? Your Apple ID password, or your login password/passcode? What devices do you have?

passwords... don't use passcodes.
I have a MacBook pro, a few Iphones, Ipad that I don't use much, Samsung pad, older Macbook pro, and that's about it.
You can turn the passcodes off for all of your devices, since you don't need the security they provide.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.