Transferring Data from old to new iPhone

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
This is a case of, the more I know the more I know I don't know.

My wife has bought a new iPhone 15 Pro Max, she currently has an iPhone 13 Pro Max running iOS 17.3

Now I have used the Apple "Quick Start" method in the past to setup a new iPhone, transferring data directly from an old iPhone to a new one, I have tried setting up a new iPhone as "New" over USB using the Finder and transferring data from a local encrypted backup of my old iPhone on my MBP, and I have tried restoring a device from an erased state using iCloud backup only.

The best method I have found is the relatively new Quick Start process but even that has shortfalls. Some data still needs to be downloaded from iCloud such as photos, books and audio books.

I see now that iMazing offers a iPhone to iPhone direct data transfer akin to cloning where both devices are plugged into, in my case my MBP, at the same time and iMazing handles all data transfer with the exception of one's "iTunes Media Library (Music, Books, iTunes U, Podcasts, Ringtones and Movies synced or purchased on iTunes), so that data will not be transferred and should be synced separately if needed." This is essentially the same as the Quick Start method but with more automation and data selection options.

With some apps, Authy, Google Authenticator and others like PayPal, there is no escaping setting up these apps from new due to their inbuilt security measures. Google Authenticator for example provides a QR code to scan onto the new device on initiating the export process from the old device.

So, with all of the above in mind I just wonder if anyone has found a better, faster, easier method? I know some people upgrade their iPhone every year, for us it's probably something like 3-5 years, I just find it hard to believe they go through the same complex process voluntarily so often. Do they employ an IT guy to do it for them or is there some way of streamlining the procedure I don't know about?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I just use the "Quick Start" approach. The two phones are side-by-side, find each other and you use the camera on one to "look at" the pattern on the screen of the other and they start exchanging data. Yes, once done there are still some things that need to sync, but that takes place in the background as long as you have a reasonably quick WiFI connection to the Internet.

Haven't tried iMazing. But I suspect it will either take a very long time to restore everything, and/or you will get left with the same issues with Authy, etc.

It's not complex, just time consuming.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes, I might just stick with what I know for my wife's iPhone. I will be stepping up to her old iPhone 13 Pro Max while my iPhone SE 2 will go to my youngest grandaughter who currently has the first SE (2016).
I might try iMazing for my transfer, just to see what's possible, I can always erase and do the Quick Start if unsatisfied.
A good opportunity to try it and compare the results.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I have read your initial presentation/post with great interest, Rod.

In my early days with iDevices, I backed up regularly via USB to my Mac - and equally, used that method for transferring everything from Mac to the new iDevice. I always found the process reliable and relatively quick. I still BU to my Mac to this day.

I do use iMazing as a BU, but not tried to transfer data to new iDevice, as yet.

Sometime after that when it became possible, I transferred from old to new iPhone directly, at that time, by scanning the code on one and keeping the two close together. I found that a great hassle. (But since then, I believe that the practical aspects involved in iPhone-to-iPhone transfer have improved; as stated by you and Jake).

For the last two transfers, it has been achieved by using the iCloud method. And overall, that's been flawless.

But if I was helping a "newbie" to transfer to a new iPhone, I think I would advise the first option - ie - by USB from Mac to iPhone/iPad. Only because once connected all you have to do is initiate the transfer and then go and get a coffee or have a lie down, whatever.

The bottom line, like so many things in life, is to stick to the method with which you feel most comfortable ;) ;) .

Ian

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your reply Ian. It's always a bit of an anxious time, upgrading Annies iPhone. She manages all our bookings for Angel House on her iPhone and all of our communications to our staff and services in Bali via WhatsApp, our Indonesian banking, client communication for both here and Bali and the channel manager that coordinates all of the booking agencies like bookings.com, Agoda, Air BnB ect. All these sites require individual logins and ID verification. Some will return the "New Device" notification requiring additional ID and this is where it gets interesting. If MFA is via SMS like a lot of Indonesian sites that's a problem because we don't have access to our Indonesian phone numbers here. This is especially true of our Indonesian banks so we need to ensure no important transactions need to be done before we return. Equally the same applies to Australian banks and some sites so we need to setup those banking apps and others on both our phones before leaving Aus to ensure apps are verified and functioning before we leave.

We also need to ensure Annie's email accounts are all setup some of which (the business ones) are connected to other services.

This process is all down to me, Annie has her skill set, this is mine. Usually I only have to do one iPhone at a time but this time it's both, not to mention setting up my iPhone SE to replace my granddaughter's old one.

All the above makes things like iCloud, Music, Photos, third party iOS apps, ect. pale into almost insignificance although Audio Books are an area of great importance to Annie.

The one I fear most is the MyGov app. This encompasses all the Australian Govt services sites required for our Aged services, Medicare and the pension. They are all device specific and their web sites are a mess of interconnected services each with their own user names and passwords.

We wont be erasing either of our original phones until everything is sorted though so I'm sure it will all work out. WhatsApp for example now has a QR code method to transfer your account and history to a new device as has Google Authenticator which Annie uses for MFA with a lot of sites.

This is all part an parcel of living in two countries. At least for tourists most problems can usually be put off until they get "home" for us we're not really "home" in either place. :rolleyes:

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First stage complete using Quick Start on Annie's old to new iPhone. I opted to transfer all data from phone to phone rather than from iCloud. This makes the process a little longer in one way: Using iCloud frees up the original phone after initial setup is complete but requires a fairly fast internet connection as well as a sufficient data plan. Phone to phone could be faster overall it just means keeping the two phones together for longer.
Some third party apps still need to download but are all present.
All email accounts were functioning immediately, all native apps and their data complete as per old phone.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't remember if everything was a complete as with the Phone to Phone T/F last time using iCloud but this time just about everything like Health records, Wallet details, ect just required confirmation. Perhaps it's changed but it seemed faster/easier than the last time.
I took Annie and I about an hour this morning to login to our various Govt. sites and online bookings agencies eg, bookings.com, Agoda, Expedia, Air BnB ect. all have their own forms of MFA while Google Authenticator and What'sApp were relatively simple.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Completed data transfer for my iPhone SE 2 to my wife's old iPhone 13 Pro Max, emphasis on the Max, boy it's big and heavy. I guess I'll get used to it and I always carry my iPhone in a shoulder bag anyway.

So, I used iMazing 3 for this phone to phone transfer and there are two things worth noting:
It's fast, especially where the "source" iPhone had already been backed up, about 30 min.
Secondly, after "trusting" the MBP no further input was required.

Conclusion; the Quick Start works really well using the iPhone as the source of data to be transferred rather than iCloud while iCloud frees up your original (older) iPhone after just the login and verification process is complete.
iMazing works just as well, it's faster and offers options not available using Apple's method. I can see it would be really helpful for setting up a batch of corporate phones using a single source "template" of settings and apps.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Excellent summary, Rod. Very useful study of the options available; their pros and cons.

Ian

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Ian. So, now I have my wife's iPhone 13 Pro Max, wow, what a change from my iPhone SE 2. Obviously the size and weight are the obvious differences. The more subtle differences are the camera with its 3X optical zoom and portrait mode and the battery life is terrific. I took the phone off charge at 0700 and now at 1600 it's still on 97%. Face ID is brilliant, I would not willingly go back to touch ID again. Lastly the SE 2020 was missing the ability to expand notifications using Haptic Touch. The long touch haptic function that brings up more details on the notification screen only took you to the app on the SE.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.