Totally bizarre Magic Mouse 2 issue

Reaction score
I've been using this mouse since I bought it new in 2016. Model A1657 Magic Mouse 2. So I return to the office today where the mouse is paired to my Mac Mini M1 and all of a sudden neither left nor right clicking works. But tracking and scrolling work fine. I turned the mouse off, waited a few seconds, and turned it back on again - still clicking doesn't work.

So I restarted the Mac using the keyboard shortcut. Logged back in and was able to left click once and then that left click seemed to permanently register - I got that highlighted rectangle "lasso" on the screen like you'd use to select multiple files/folders and no amount of further left or right clicking did anything. All I could do was drag/resize this "lasso" rectangle around the screen. Confirming the fact that the mouse is somehow registering a left click (even though I'm not even touching it) is the fact that when I connected a wired mouse to the Mac, I could only right-click with the wired mouse. As soon as I disconnected the Magic Mouse, the wired mouse worked normally.

So finally I tried completely removing the Magic Mouse from Bluetooth and repairing it. No luck. Tracking and scrolling still work but neither left nor right clicking do (not even a single left click registers this time).

I'm guessing my Magic Mouse is defective and needs to be replaced, but before spending $100 on a new one, I want to be sure no one here has any other ideas to try. It just seems so weird how the mouse could be working perfectly fine on Saturday when I left the office and over the weekend becomes defective literally just sitting there. I noticed absolutely no oddities in the mouse's behavior before this time that suggested it was starting to act up. It worked flawlessly all these years.

Has this happened to any of you before? Any ideas of something else I can try? I'm going to take it home with me tonight and see if it behaves the same way with my other two Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It just seems so weird how the mouse could be working perfectly fine on Saturday when I left the office and over the weekend becomes defective literally just sitting there.

Maybe the cleaning staff or some gremlins came in on the weekend and were playing some games with it... Or howl fast or how far they could throw it...???

Try Shutting Down the Mac, wait 30-40 seconds, then Start it Up rather than just Restarting It and see if that will improve things.

I wonder if it just decided to die???

- Patrick
=======

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Jonathan, I suspect it's RIP for your Mouse. Had a good life - 6 years or so??:)

Ian

OP
usagora
Reaction score
Maybe the cleaning staff or some gremlins came in on the weekend and were playing some games with it... Or howl fast or how far they could throw it...???

Try Shutting Down the Mac, wait 30-40 seconds, then Start it Up rather than just Restarting It and see if that will improve things.

I wonder if it just decided to die???

- Patrick
=======

LOL, it's a small office and I'm the only one who works there. Definitely no one else in and out of here after hours. I'm about to head home, so I will try paring it with my two Macs at home. If it doesn't work with either of them, I will take the mouse apart and see if there's any grime buildup, etc. If it still doesn't work after putting it together again, I guess I'm out $100. 6 years of use isn't too bad, though.

EDIT: Just turned it on again and let it auto-pair with my Mac Mini. As soon as it pairs, it immediately registers a permanent left click and hold (as if I'm pressing the left mouse button down and not letting go, even though I'm not even touching the mouse). Tried it twice in a row with the same result. Will report back what it does with my other Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jonathan, I suspect it's RIP for your Mouse. Had a good life - 6 years or so??:)

Ian

Gheeze Ian, I would have thought that a decent quality mouse should last A LOT longer than that, and at six years old I would think it is barely a teenager.

Heck, I had occasion to use my old wired USB Logitech mouse today, and it is well over 20+ years old, and my USB wireless Logitech Marathon M705 has seen almost close to the similar number of years, and neither one cost anywhere near $100 usd!!!

- Patrick
=======

OP
usagora
Reaction score
A quick, crude google search as lots of hits of suggestions if you want to give some of them a try:

Is it charged up properly??? ;)

- Patrick
=======

Yeah, I read those, and their suggestion is to buy a new mouse 🤣

I did take the top of the mouse off and cleaned it out a bit. Everything looks normal inside. Turned it on with the stop half still off and no change in its behavior. Same when I put it back together. I guess it's RIP like Ian said. Nice thing is that I live near an Apple store and it can be courier-delivered tomorrow.

EDIT: Actually, the white Magic Mouse is $79 (the black one is $99). I prefer the white one. After taxes and courier fee it's close to $100, though. That's why I had that figure stuck in my head.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.