Time machine opens in desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" 5K 1 TB ssd OS = Monterey 12.6.1
Why , when I "enter time machine" does it always by default show "DESKTOP" and not the "MACKINTOSH HD" view?

I am almost sure that it used to show the MACKINTOSH BLUE FOLDER when I previously entered time machine

Now when I ENTER TIME MACHINE and open up my iMac ( in devices ) it shows all my drives ( including external hard drives that I don't believe are included in the back up but it used to show just the MACKINTOSH blu folder ?

If I select a previous back up from the right hand side of there screen and select NOW it shows all my drives If I go back in time it shows just the blue MACKINTOSH HD folder which you can then open up to see the subfolders inside it.

I have just had a thought... Is the NOW version( from the right hand side of the screen ) actually showing me a back up or is it just displaying my total set up? Very confused.... Even considered reformatting the Time Machine drive and setting it up again but that may be a bit dramatic at this stage.

Thanks

Bernard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum.

Time Machine opens into wherever you are. If you are in an application and open Time Machine, it returns to the Desktop. On the other hand, if you open Finder and go to Macintosh HD, it opens in that same view. And if you have your externals on the sidebar, they will be in the sidebar in the default Time Machine window. NOW is now, as you suspected. It's not a backup, it's now. No need to reformat the drive, IMHO, if that's all that is happening.

You can test it by using Finder to navigate to a folder like Applications, then invoke TM from there. It opens in that same folder and goes back in history in that folder. At least that's how it's working on my Mojave system 10.14.2.

Not sure what you mean by "MACKINTOSH BLUE FOLDER." What is that?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.