Third party kernel modules in VM

Reaction score
I have the need to run one software on MacOS, but I don't like to enable the external kernel modules at the boot.

So I was thinking to use a VM.

The funny story is that I found the software UTM that can run MacOS natively (LOL), I successfully launched MacOS without issues.
Linux doesn't work, mainly for the driver video, it's also difficult to just install it due to security measures in the distro, anyway, it's another story.

I'd like to ask what kind of security isolation that software offers...
A potential malware could also impact my system, but it's always better to run such modules in a VM instead of my host OS.
In the meanwhile, I'm facing the issue of "pressing the power button", it seems that there is no way to continuously press it during the boot, at the moment I'm not able to enter in the recovery section :D .
Any suggestion?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm facing the issue of "pressing the power button", it seems that there is no way to continuously press it during the boot, at the moment I'm not able to enter in the recovery section

To enter Recovery Mode you need to reboot the Mac whilst holding down the Command + R until the Apple Logo appears.

You don't say what Mac model you have, but if it's an iMac you may find that a wired Keyboard is better than a Bluetooth one because Bluetooth is activated late in the reboot process and therefore may not work. A wired KB or a recent Magic KB connected to the iMac via USB (as you would to recharge the batteries) is best.

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
To enter Recovery Mode you need to reboot the Mac whilst holding down the Command + R until the Apple Logo appears.

You don't say what Mac model you have, but if it's an iMac you may find that a wired Keyboard is better than a Bluetooth one because Bluetooth is activated late in the reboot process and therefore may not work. A wired KB or a recent Magic KB connected to the iMac via USB (as you would to recharge the batteries) is best.

Ian
Thanks.
I have a MacBook Air M1 (that method doesn't work), and I can't press the power button or it locks the screen, or eventually it goes for shutdown (power cutoff), I can try to play with the timing but I was looking for an equivalent keyboard combination.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
As you didn't tell us which Mac you had, I had to guess. This may help:

How Do I Boot an M1 Mac Into Recovery Mode?​

If you have a newer Mac with an Apple-based processor such as the M1 CPU, like the Mac mini, the process is slightly different. Here's how to start your M1-based Mac in Recovery Mode.

1. Turn off your Mac.

2. Press and hold the Power button.

3. A message stating you'll be able to access startup options soon will appear. Keep holding the button down.

4. Click Options > Continue to open up Recovery.

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
As you didn't tell us which Mac you had, I had to guess. This may help:

How Do I Boot an M1 Mac Into Recovery Mode?​

If you have a newer Mac with an Apple-based processor such as the M1 CPU, like the Mac mini, the process is slightly different. Here's how to start your M1-based Mac in Recovery Mode.

1. Turn off your Mac.

2. Press and hold the Power button.

3. A message stating you'll be able to access startup options soon will appear. Keep holding the button down.

4. Click Options > Continue to open up Recovery.

Ian
I'm running MacOS in VM too, I need to boot into recovery mode from there :D . I can't use the power button.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm really sorry, but I haven't come across a situation where someone was running macOS in VM. I can see why you can't use the Power Button.

Wiser counsel than I may be able to assist.

Can't you run macOS natively? I re-read your first post and it seemed you can, but choose not too because you don't like to enable the external kernel modules at the boot.

Let's see if someone more accustomed to your setup can help. Sorry.

Ian

Reaction score
You might want on older macOS VM to support a favourite 32-bit only app. But then you could argue why upgrade your host Mac beyond Mojave? I don’t actually agree with my last statement but I guess some users do exactly that!

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm really sorry, but I haven't come across a situation where someone was running macOS in VM. I can see why you can't use the Power Button.

Wiser counsel than I may be able to assist.

Can't you run macOS natively? I re-read your first post and it seemed you can, but choose not too because you don't like to enable the external kernel modules at the boot.

Let's see if someone more accustomed to your setup can help. Sorry.

Ian
No worries, thank you, it's definitely a weird scenario.

You might want on older macOS VM to support a favourite 32-bit only app. But then you could argue why upgrade your host Mac beyond Mojave? I don’t actually agree with my last statement but I guess some users do exactly that!
I own a MacBook Air M1, so there is no chance to get Mojave, it came out with Monterey.
I don't have the case of running old 32 bit apps, it's just one software for the moment, it could be 32 or 64 bits.

I could validate most of the code and launch that kernel module, but in the future, I probably need to do it again after some bug or necessary update.
It's an impressive amount of work, I'm not so keen in that task :D

So I was looking forward to use MacOS in VM only for that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.