• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The Texas varmints got me again!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My internet connection has been down for the past three days. Luckily I have unlimited data on my cell phone plan and could use my iPhone as hot-spot by connecting it via USB.

The cable company finally sent their tech out today to have a look and discovered that some varmint ate through the coax cable outside my home. This is the second time in 5 years that they ate through the coax. The fiber optic cables are buried but from the optical interface to the connections in my house are all coax runs.

Anyway, I'm back up for awhile at least until the varmints get hungry again and chew the cable. LOL

Charlie

varmint.jpeg

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Well, at least they've got good taste, Charlie. Not everyone gets the treatment.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
I'd have a replacement coax cable ready made for the next occasion, or just put the coax in a PVC pipe outside of the house. Certainly, doing this depends on how long you plan to be there and/or how important having the internet connection available for you...

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We've been here for 30 years plus and do not plan on moving unless it's 6 feet down. :)

Yeah, I thought about PVC but that would be too much work disassembling equipment the way it's currently laid out. I may look at conductor covering that's available at Lowes or Home Depot. That would be a lot easier to install. I really only need about four feet since that's what is exposed on the outside wall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
In my view, doing 4-5 feet length is worth for doing for another 30-50 years...:wink

krs

Reaction score
I may look at conductor covering that's available at Lowes or Home Depot.

Makes me think of a metal raceway like this which you might be able to add without disassembling any equipment. WDK_ElectricalElectronic_WireCableMgt_Raceway_Metal_Base-Cover_300.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Makes me think of a metal raceway like this which you might be able to add without disassembling any equipment. View attachment 31703

That, or any of the other rodent protective products sold by most electrical or plumbing wholesalers. Maybe even your Homedepot stores... even the marine industry sells protective products that don't need to have anything dismantled or disconnected...

- Patrick
======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
We've been here for 30 years plus and do not plan on moving unless it's 6 feet down. :)

I thought you'ld be heading upward not downward at the appropriate time!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.