• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

The next MacBook Pro may bring back the MagSafe connector

Reaction score
e8f52e00-5704-11eb-b5bf-63f8e1d64fbd
Apple is planning a new design for the MacBook Pro that will mark the return of the the MagSafe charger, according to Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman and analyst Ming-chi Kuo (as reported by 9to5Mac). The laptop will come in 14- and 16-inch sizes and likely...

Click here to view the article...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Interesting changes coming. The upgrading to the next-gen ARM chip is a given. While the touch bar is interesting, I think it never got embraced by developers/applications as much as it potentially could have been.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Bringing back the Mag-Safe connector is super. Most users & professionals I've asked how they feel about the removal of the Mag-Safe thought it was a bad idea.

Most agree it was:

* Safer (less trip hazard...no sending the laptop flying to the floor).
* Less port/cord damage.
* Easier to use.

:):)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 m1 MacBook Air , iPhone XR product red, 2008 iMac, Apple Watch 1st generationiPad 8th gen
I like the MagSafe charger, and wish everything used a form of it. easy to connect and disconnect and with a dog who forgets he has paws and doesn't pay attention to where he puts them while walking keeps things safer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Bringing back the Mag-Safe connector is super. Most users & professionals I've asked how they feel about the removal of the Mag-Safe thought it was a bad idea.

Most agree it was:

* Safer (less trip hazard...no sending the laptop flying to the floor).
* Less port/cord damage.
* Easier to use.

:):)

- Nick

I agree with you. Additionally, I find when users commonly charge via the rear left port, in time the connection loosens and becomes intermittent. Economical to replace on the Touch Bar 4 port models as the socket, known as the I/O board, can independently be replaced. Not so with the 2 port models, if the socket loosens you need to spend out on a replacement logic board. Bring back the MagSafe 2.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...in time the connection loosens and becomes intermittent.

For sure! With the number of times a user/multiple owners of a MacBook/MacBook Pro might insert/remove to charge it over 10 years or more...got to be some wear over time.

I guess on the positive side (2 ports or 4 ports)...can use any of them to charge from. Thus if one wears out...use a different one (until they all wear out)!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.