• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The Gather Inn

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Morning all. I have coffee on any takers? We have freshly brewed Banana Foster coffee served with warm Paczki’s in honour of Windsor’s Paczki Day tomorrow.

5c and sunny here today…..sooner or later Winter is gonna catchup to us.
I was watching a show called History Hits the other day and was amazed as to where the word brothel came from…..evidently the selling of sex was quite common in the Middle Age. It seems there was communal baths…and sellers would ply their trade in the hot bath…or stew….it wasn’t a big leap to broth and thus it seems the word brothel was born…who knew.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Morning all. I have coffee on any takers? We have freshly brewed Banana Foster coffee served with which game is a Polish dessert that's usually made before the Catholic went in season and it was always in honour of Windsor’s Paczki Day tomorrow.

Thanks for the offer, but we just tried out the brand-new stainless steel insulated French press coffee maker I bought online the other day.

It turned out very well and was a nice pairing with the French toast with the fresh eggs from the small farm just down the road and nice fresh white bread from the local bakery oven.

Many celebrate Shrove Tuesday with pancakes which is another tradition, but those Pączkis certainly look like they would be quite enjoyable.

- Patrick
=======

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer, but we just tried out the brand-new stainless steel insulated French press coffee maker I bought online the other day.

It turned out very well and was a nice pairing with the French toast with the fresh eggs from the small farm just down the road and nice fresh white bread from the local bakery oven.

Many celebrate Shrove Tuesday with pancakes which is another tradition, but those Pączkis certainly look like they would be quite enjoyable.

- Patrick
=======
Patrick, Groove would certainly applaud the French Press…his favourite coffee method if I recall.
and, yes, Paczki Day is huge here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unless I missed something, it it seems like some web pages have got their dates mixed up for this year for the Paczki Day celebration:

Paczki Day – February 8, 2024

Paczki Day, celebrated the Thursday in the week before to Ash Wednesday, is the perfect excuse (as if we needed one) to eat the famous and delicious Polish pastry. This year, it takes place on February 8. Similar to a donut, Paczki are a sugary pastry that combines glossy doughs with a delicious fruit filling. They’re known as a dessert that gets more-or-less splurged around lent, but Paczki Day isn’t just about the pastries alone. Let’s learn what makes this day so special.

- Patrick
=======

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Unless I missed something, it it seems like some web pages have got their dates mixed up for this year for the Paczki Day celebration:

- Patrick
=======
Don’t know, all I know is in Windsor it’s tomorrow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don’t know, all I know is in Windsor it’s tomorrow.

Well, it looks like those who follow the erroneous web page are going to lose out, I'm the correct web page seems to have it correct:
Windsor’s Paczki Day

Your Guide To Paczki Day

Paczki Day returns Tuesday February 13th! Now is the time to prepare for everyone’s favourite once-a-year indulgent treat! We’ve put together a mouth-watering Paczki Day Guide for where to get your hands on the little round balls of deliciousness.

Do you need my address in case you have extra you wouldn't mind sending me? They should last a day or so in the Canada Post route... ;-)

- Patrick
=======

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Well, it looks like those who follow the erroneous web page are going to lose out, I'm the correct web page seems to have it correct:
Windsor’s Paczki Day

Your Guide To Paczki Day

Do you need my address in case you have extra you wouldn't mind sending me? They should last a day or so in the Canada Post route... ;-)

- Patrick
=======
Patrick the postage would cost a fortune….these things are weighty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0

- Patrick
=======
Shrove Tuesday, or pancake day in the UK, the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Should adopt this in Australia, just what we need "Fat Tuesday" :ROFLMAO:

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Morning all. 5c here with a whisp of the dreaded snow….
i have a nice Butterscotch coffee on served with….what else today a warm paczki..yummers.

Ran across the meaning of the phrase ‘cat got your tongue’…. interesting theory on its origin…there are two..

1. In the old navy a punishment was being whipped by a cat-o-nine tails. In many cases the old tar would be left speechless.

2. In old egypt, a punishment was having one’s tongue cut out and having it fed to cats…

Interesting…..

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Maybe the reason it’s not a national holiday….

Attachments

• IMG_0158.jpeg
    IMG_0158.jpeg
    52.2 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
I agree, nature has a habit of evening things out….so I”lol keep the snow blower ready.
how is your shoulder? Improving I hope.
Shoulder is doing great, after an incredible amount of physio Chiro, MRIs, and the gym 3 times a week. The side effect is getting in great shape. The peloton was a great buy.

Getting older needs strength training to put off injuries and pain. But it sure isn't a cakewalk getting out of something.

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Shoulder is doing great, after an incredible amount of physio Chiro, MRIs, and the gym 3 times a week. The side effect is getting in great shape. The peloton was a great buy.

Getting older needs strength training to put off injuries and pain. But it sure isn't a cakewalk getting out of something.
Getting old isn’t for the faint of heart that’s for sure.

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Hello all, 5c today. We had a bit of snow but it is now melting…should hit 9c later this week

Any Yellowstone fans out there….watched the whole Yellowstone, but I’ve got to say 1883 in my opinion is far superior….and 1923 end in a *** manner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It’s been a weird weird winter. I don’t ever recall a winter this, not winter before. I hope it doesn’t mean crazy freak storms in March-May!

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
It’s been a weird weird winter. I don’t ever recall a winter this, not winter before. I hope it doesn’t mean crazy freak storms in March-May!
True dat! We are sitting at -5c but will hit +13 on Thursday…..but, no snow as yet. I only used the shovel three times this year…and that was just an easy push job…..hoping never to use the blower this year.

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Hello all. How’s the weather where you are. Sunny and cold here in Windsor this morning sitting at -3 c.

Had a bit of a treat yesterday as I went into a Tim’s and ordered an Apple Fritter, must have been my lucky day as the counter person put two in the bad and only charged me for one…..I’ll take the win.

I’ve been researching some songs of the 1920s…interesting lyrics. The original Ain’t We Got Fun is quite different from the Doris Day or Peggy Lee rendition….yet Walk Right In is very similar to the Roof Top Singers rendition….

Maybe it’s the wine.....but when people tell me that things can’t possibly get worse, I wonder if it is because they lack sufficient imagination.......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used the shovel once, a quick little push on the walkways and that’s it. Unprecedented in Canada!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.