The ever popular 'USB Devices Disabled'

Reaction score
Thanks, Bobtomay. I've ordered some new ones. One of the wires I'm trying to use is somewhat new and from the Apple store. Disappointing.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Thinking about it even more - out of all the cables I have in use right now - my oldest still functioning lightning cables are a couple of Amazon Basics cables. Have a couple of those close to 2 years old. Pretty sure I've never had another iDevice cable last a year for me.

Don't know whether some of us are just unwittingly harder on cables than others or just unlucky.
I keep a cable in 5 separate locations I use regularly and seem to have to buy new cables about once every 6-9 months.
Meanwhile, the wife uses 1 cable, the original. I think she's had to replace that original only once in the last 7-8 years she's been using iDevices.

I've never had to replace any sort of cables like I have all my iDevice cables as my cable drawers (4 of them) will attest.

Reaction score
USB devices disabled message while not plugging any USBs not any

I'm on MacBook Air device I have been getting the same message attached in screenshot from molecularx first message.

I'm not plugging any USBs to my machine and whenever i hit the close button it comes back in few minutes.

I'm really curious to know what triggers it to show if there is no USB plugged in.

dmesg says this weird reason(Simulation?!):

USB Notification: The device "XHCI Root Hub USB 2.0 Simulation" @ 0x0 has reported an overcurrent condition. The port has been disabled.

Reaction score
I am using Macbook Air Yosemite 10.10.5 and first got the same warning yesterday, when plugged my USB mouse. Strange enough, but I have been using the same mouse for several months already, since I got my Mac, and this is the first time I see this error. Already tried to reset SMC but did not help. Is there anyone who managed to solve this without actually replacing the logic board?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Getting this error once in a while may just be a fluke. If it starts to occur more often perhaps there's a problem. The few times I've gotten this error consistently some device has been in the early stages of failure. IN member waheedi's case I wonder if one of the USB ports isn't starting to fail.

Reaction score
it could be not starting to fail

Hey Slydude I believe that makes more sense not starting to fail, but how can i stop it from either popping up that message or disable that usb port?

Getting this error once in a while may just be a fluke. If it starts to occur more often perhaps there's a problem. The few times I've gotten this
error consistently some device has been in the early stages of failure. IN member waheedi's case I wonder if one of the USB ports isn't starting to fail.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm not sure there is a way to disable that message. I'll have to do some searching and see if I can find something. Perhaps some of our other members will have an idea or two.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As stated in Post #17 there is no way to disable that message that I know of. Unfortunately, in most cases where that warning will not go away it usually means a logic board defect.

Reaction score
USB devices disabled

After installing Elcapitan on Mac Pro, USB Disabled message. Unplugged and used it till battery died and computer turned off, pushed on button for about 30 seconds, Let it sit for a couple hours, pushed on button again for 30 seconds. Plugged it back in and waited for a little charged. Turned on, no more message. Some of the holding button down may have been overkill but it worked for me.

Reaction score
My issue is similar, but not triggered by a phone. I'm getting the message when I plug in an unpowered 2.5" external harddrive. I have two such HDs, 3 cables, all cause the pop-up. I am fairly certain I know what caused it too: I had a powered External USB hub which stopped working when I accidentally plugged a 12w power supply into it when it wanted a 3w. The 2 HDs in combination plugged into a single USB port via said Hub, no longer powered, is I think what caused the overdraw. Because I use this machine for my work and NEED those harddrives, I'm in a real bind.

I will try the 3 methods I read above:

1. Leave it unplugged and off overnight.
2. Unplug it and let the battery drain.
3. Reset SMC.

If anyone else has any suggestions given the unique way I triggered this thing that'd be great. I'm slightly concerned I may have accidentally sent some kind of power-surge through my electronics :(.

Reaction score
I upgraded to El Capitan last night on my late 2009 iMac and now I am getting the dreaded USB Devices Disabled notification (relentlessly). I even get it when nothing is plugged in. I tried the SMC reset but did not solve it. I never got this prior to upgrading to the latest OS X.

Any ideas on what to do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's probably coincidental that you have an over current failure when upgrading to El Capitan. If you read back through this thread, you can see that one individual who had the same thing happen wound up having his logic board replaced. Probably best to take your iMac to Apple and let them run diagnostics on it. The diagnostic tests at an Apple store are free but you would have to pay for repairs.

Reaction score
I just received this message, however, I have no USB devices plugged into my USB ports? How do you tell what device triggered the alert, and where can you get a copy of the diagnostics program? I have an Early 2011 15-inch MacBook Pro running Mac OS X Yosemite.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The diagnostics program is proprietary to Apple. You must take your MacBook Pro to them and they will run the diagnostics and let you know. There is no way of telling what caused the over current message. Read back through this thread, perhaps something there will help.

Reaction score
you can Turn off notifications https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18740?locale=en_US

only need Turn off notifications with do not disturb.

This not solve the problem, but hide the annoying pop up.

I also upgraded to el capitan and only then started seeing this annoying notice about USB devices. I find it impossible to believe that's a coincidence, considering how many are saying the same thing. And I sincerely doubt we all suddenly have bad logic boards.....but of course the geniuses at the Genius Bar aren't all what they are cracked up to be and saying you need a new logic board may be what they think is best.

I'd still like to hear from others who have "upgraded" (that is questionable at this point) to El capitan and began seeing this notice. In the meantime, I will turn off the notices as above.

C

chas_m

No problems of that nature at all here, and I plug in all manner of USB devices into this thing all the time.

Reaction score
Same problem

My issue is similar, but not triggered by a phone. I'm getting the message when I plug in an unpowered 2.5" external harddrive. I have two such HDs, 3 cables, all cause the pop-up. I am fairly certain I know what caused it too: I had a powered External USB hub which stopped working when I accidentally plugged a 12w power supply into it when it wanted a 3w. The 2 HDs in combination plugged into a single USB port via said Hub, no longer powered, is I think what caused the overdraw. Because I use this machine for my work and NEED those harddrives, I'm in a real bind.

I will try the 3 methods I read above:

1. Leave it unplugged and off overnight.
2. Unplug it and let the battery drain.
3. Reset SMC.

If anyone else has any suggestions given the unique way I triggered this thing that'd be great. I'm slightly concerned I may have accidentally sent some kind of power-surge through my electronics :(.

I had the same problem with the wrong voltage on the usb hub, 1 volt more I believe. I am really hoping there wasn't a power surge as well because my NI Maschine and NI Complete Audio 6 are not turning on now. I have read that the USB on the Maschine can go bad, but my Audio 6 interface worries me.

I also tried to install a new ssd from Transcend on my MacbookPro, and that was having really wonky problems around the same time. Transcend couldn't figure it out. The laptop would eventually bring up a spinning circle, then go black and I would have to shutdown after a few minutes. So I took that out and put the old one back and it works.

One more strange thing is that when I have the power chord hooked up to the laptop, there is a slight current of electricity that flows over the outside of the unit. Nothing crazy but I could rest my forearm on the edge of the laptop, and further down my arm would touch something and a slight burning sensation would arise. Like I said nothing overly painful, but just odd.

Any comments on these things would be appreciated. I am taking the laptop to the Apple Store today, so we will se what happens.

Reaction score
I had the same problem with the wrong voltage on the usb hub, 1 volt more I believe. I am really hoping there wasn't a power surge as well because my NI Maschine and NI Complete Audio 6 are not turning on now. I have read that the USB on the Maschine can go bad, but my Audio 6 interface worries me.

I also tried to install a new ssd from Transcend on my MacbookPro, and that was having really wonky problems around the same time. Transcend couldn't figure it out. The laptop would eventually bring up a spinning circle, then go black and I would have to shutdown after a few minutes. So I took that out and put the old one back and it works.

One more strange thing is that when I have the power chord hooked up to the laptop, there is a slight current of electricity that flows over the outside of the unit. Nothing crazy but I could rest my forearm on the edge of the laptop, and further down my arm would touch something and a slight burning sensation would arise. Like I said nothing overly painful, but just odd.

Any comments on these things would be appreciated. I am taking the laptop to the Apple Store today, so we will se what happens.

Having issues with the usb and also have experienced the burning sensation, any luck at the Apple Store?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.