Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a question about the Airport Express to which I cannot find any answers on the Internet. First allow me to briefly explain my home network setup.

Ground floor:
I have a mesh network (the TP-Link Deco m5), I believe it's an N network, not quite AC yet.
There is an Airport Express A1264 (802.11/n) connected through WiFi for music streaming only (no Wifi function)

First floor:
There is another Airport Express A1084 (802.11/g) hardwired to one of the Deco Units (not the Main Router) also for streaming music purpose only (no Wifi function)

Question:
Why does the music on the first floor break every now & then like there was a disconnection momentarily. This occurs randomly and only to the Airport Express A1084 (802.11/g) but not the A1264 (802.11n). Could it be a speed issue, that the 802.11/g is having difficulty in keeping up with the N network?

Attachments

• A1084.jpg
    A1084.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 16

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I'm a little rusty with WiFi specifics, but I do remember a while back reading that ideally you want your router and all devices on the network to be operating at or above a particular speed. Having one slower device could mess things up for that device or the entire network.

So the older AE is likely on the 2.4Ghz band and experiencing issues. I imagine using a different N-compatible device will be fine. Not sure there are other devices like the AE for your particular use-case though and since Apple no longer makes these devices, you'll have to find a new model on eBay or something.

OP
YanAndrew
Reaction score
Thank you Ashwin for your input.

I managed to find an A1264 on sale for a reasonable price, I think I'll go ahead and purchase it.

Once again, thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.