Target Disk Mode not working

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro (Retina 15" mid 2015) running OS X 10.11.6. I am trying to connect a MacBook (13" mid 2009) in target disk mode to the Macbook Pro. The Macbook's startup disk is full and it will not boot except in Recovery mode or target disk mode. There is apparently a misbehaving app that is gobbling up disk I want to access the Macbook's disk in target mode to delete some files and make room. I have the Macbook connected to the Macbook Pro using a Belkin Firewire 2M cable 9 pin/6pin-ZML connected to an Apple Thunderbolt - Firewire Adapter. Macbook boots into target disk mode, showing the Firewire logo on the Macbook screen. Macbook Pro doesn't recognize this target disk in Finder. Disk Utility on MacBook Pro recognizes the target disk as APPLE Target Media, with a MacIntosh HD partition.

Highlite the APPL Firewire Target Media and it shows:

o Macintosh HD
159.83 GB
Connection: Firewire | Child Count: 3
Partition Map: GUID partition | Type: Disk
S.M.A.R.T. status - Not supported | Device: Disk 3

Highlight Macintosh HD and it shows:

Macintosh HD
159.18 GB Firewire External Physical Volume OS X Extended
Mount Point: Not Mounted | Type: Firewire External Physical Volume
Capacity: 159.18 GB | Available: Zero KB
Used: 159.18 GB | Owners: Disabled
Device: disk2s2 | Connection: Firewire

NOTE: When I tried to Mount Macintosh HD, The External APPL Firewire Target Disk got listed multiple times (last count 10), with the only differences being Device: disk3s2, disk4s2.....disk10s2

Any suggestions???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm sure I've read about troubles with such adapters but can't seem to find anything right now, but maybe this might help if it applies:
https://www.cnet.com/news/apples-thunderbolt-firewire-adapter-is-a-one-way-connector/

Otherwise, try a google search, such as:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=RvwUWPWfIPPe8AfDibuIDg

But if things are working as Bob says, then you should be able to do what you want. Otherwise, I'd try a different connection method with an older Mac mode with the same ports and no adapter.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If it's working, shouldn't the drive show in Finder ?
Check your Finder Preferences. Open a Finder windows, click on Finder, select Preferences. In the window that opens, click the Sidebar option up top. Look in the Devices section and make sure External Disks is checked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Look in the Devices section and make sure External Disks is checked.

Ahhh yes, that option that's so often forgotten that some may have it disabled… and it seems to be a default setting on a lot of new Macs to have it disabled. Probably a Sir Jony Ive thing to keep things hidden… :Angry-Tongue:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.