Syncing Devices

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
iPhone 7-iOS 15.8/MacOS 14.1 (Sonoma on 2023 Mini)

In a previous (and now parallel) OS life with OS 10.14.x (last of Mojave), text messages, usually SMS, occasionally MMS, would provide notification of incoming at both machines, so that if either was in a distant room for example, I knew when a message was awaiting my attention.

Now, with Sonoma, this is not happening, only the phone notifies a message.

Can I, or how can, I sync the iPhone7 with the new OS?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
For Messages, each device that is signed into iCloud is syncing with the servers independently of the other devices. However, I've definitely seen a cascade of notifications (not at the same time).

For example, I have a Apple Watch, iPhone and Mac. If I get a message, I get notified on my Apple Watch first, if I ignore it, I've seen the notification appear on my Mac. On days when I forget to charge my watch, and only have the phone and Mac. The notification goes to the phone and if ignored, it will come to the Mac.

I've also seen that if I view the notification on the phone on the lock screen and don't actually go into the Messages app to view the message, it's still deemed unread and will notify me on the Mac a little bit later.

However, what does not happen is that I get notifications on all of my devices at the same time.

This is different for other things, like for the 2FA notification when logging into iCloud, that goes to all devices and when you acknowledge on one device, the others disappear. So it's very situational. It's likely reasonable that I don't/need my Mac to notify me about a text message when I might be away from it but have my phone or watch with me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
1st, there is an update to Sonoma that addresses some security issues that you may want to apply. Or you can wait until later this week when it is rumored that Sonoma 17.2 will be released to update. In any case, your version of Sonoma is behind.

2nd, Is the Mini signed into your appleid account and is sync turned on for Messages? Open Messages, click on Settings and first check on the General tab that you have it set to notify you, then on the iMessage tab make sure you have "Enable Messages in iCloud" checked.

3rd. Log out of iCloud on your Mini, then log in again. Then go to Messages>Settings>iMessage and sign out of iMessage, wait 5 seconds and log in again.

Those disconnects/reconnects should re-establish the sync process.

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Thank you Jake.

1st, there is an update to Sonoma that addresses some security issues that you may want to apply.

Tis done, to 14.1.2.

Open Messages, click on Settings and first check on the General tab that you have it set to notify you, then on the iMessage tab make sure you have "Enable Messages in iCloud" checked.

Done. Interestingly (for me) doing that added some older messages.

Log out of iCloud on your Mini, then log in again.

Logging out seems unavailable in either my iD (in order to locate iCloud) or in Settings on the Mini. See att s'shots for what the checks show me.

On the iPhone 7 iMessage is on.

Hugh

Attachments

• iC1.jpg
    iC1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 3
  • iC2.jpg
    iC2.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
On the Mac, open System Settings.

Click on where your name is at the top of the resulting window. It says "Apple ID" just below your name.

Scroll to the bottom of that window and on the left side is "Sign Out..."

You will be offered a chance to save what is shared on the Mac. Pick whatever suits.

Log back in.

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.