swapping one 15 inch monitor complete with lid for another.

Reaction score
Hello all.

So I have one 2008 MacBook Pro that works fine except for a trashed screen. I have another 2008 MacBook Pro that has just died on account of a glass of red wine not agreeing with its logic board.

Does anyone know to what degree of insanity it would be to attempt to replace screen plus lid on the MacBook Pro with the screen and lid from the one with the damaged logic board?

My thinking is that it would be easier to swap out the lid with the screen already attached then trying to remove just the screen from one and put in another. I may, of course, be seriously mistaken.

If deemed not completely insane can someone point me in the right direction of how to do it?

Many thanks.

A.S.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We recommend going to the ifixit site and take a look at both procedures and then decide for yourself. www.ifixit.com

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have another 2008 MacBook Pro that has just died on account of a glass of red wine not agreeing with its logic board.

If these two 2008 MBP's truly do have swappable parts…you could instead swap the logic boards (if the logic board was the only part damaged by the spill).

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
If these two 2008 MBP's truly do have swappable parts…you could instead swap the logic boards (if the logic board was the only part damaged by the spill).

- Nick

The once with the cracked screen is the better laptop. More ram and a larger hard drive. Also I'm not sure that it's just the logic board that croaked.

Thanks for the thought though.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The once with the cracked screen is the better laptop. More ram and a larger hard drive.

Ram and hard drive are easily swapped (assuming both 2008 MBP's have swappable parts). Of course if not sure what parts have been damaged…then that would probably make swapping the displays the route to go.

As chscag mentioned. Check out the procedure(s) at ifixit.com for more info on the difficultly level of the swap.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.