SuperDrive USB

Reaction score
Just bought a new MacBook Pro 13". Thought I would get an Apple SuperDrive to run CDs and DVDs. But am seeing lots of negative posts.

Questions:

1) SuperDrive: Yes or No?

2) Does "SuperDrive UBS" mean that I will need an adaptor to use it on my Thunderbolt ports? (I think they are called Thunderbolt.)

I'm totally clueless about computers. Feel free to speak slowly and use simple vocabulary.

Thanks. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I would suggest giving it a miss altogether as the Apple SuperDrive is USB2 and I do not think TB will be backwards compatible that far. Someone else will respond should I be wrong.

Apple has not upgraded the SuperDrives as Apple believes DVD's are dead in the water. Maybe a USB thumb drive of suitable size would be of more advantage.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, Harry. I appreciate the insight. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Just bought a new MacBook Pro 13". Thought I would get an Apple SuperDrive to run CDs and DVDs. But am seeing lots of negative posts.

Questions:

1) SuperDrive: Yes or No?

2) Does "SuperDrive UBS" mean that I will need an adaptor to use it on my Thunderbolt ports? (I think they are called Thunderbolt.)

I'm totally clueless about computers. Feel free to speak slowly and use simple vocabulary.

Hello - I have a MBPro early 2013 and bought a Super Drive which runs from the USB 2.0 port - I've mainly ripped and recorded CDs and watched a few DVDs - has worked fine for 4+ years (but not used that often) - what are your needs for an optical drive?

The Apple Super Drive has received mixed reviews, is relatively expensive, and the grab-insertion disc option may be problematic, especially for discs w/ paper labels - there are less expensive options, so do some searching and look on Amazon; as to a 'thunderbolt port' option, not sure - let us know. Dave :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, Dave.

I was just doing a last search on this before calling it a night. There appear to be a lot of DVD/RW/CD disc players around (LG is a brand I noted) for as low as $29.49. At that price, if it craps out, I don't think I'll feel so bad. I may go to a local Best Buy or MacMall tomorrow and let them try to sell me something.

I want it for playing movies on DVD mostly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.