Super frustrated; no HP driver for Big Sur (no HP help)

Reaction score
To troubleshoot a printer issue, I followed HP's advice and uninstalled my printer, fully expecting to reinstall it. The problem is that when I upgraded to Big Sur, the current HP driver is not compatible with this operating system. It's a retired printer (8610) but not THAT old, and I have no idea whether they plan on releasing a driver update in the near future. Nor do I want to shell out $200 for a new printer when this one works perfectly fine.

I posted on the HP forum (no response) and tried to contact HP, but they literally WILL NOT LET YOU unless you printer is within it's year warranty (obviously mine is no longer). What a **** company!

Anyway, I have no idea what someone here could possibly tell me, but thoughts about my options here? I considered reverting back to Catalina but just learned that's a nightmare, so I'm shelving that idea...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're finding out that HP is one of the worst printer manufacturers to do business with. We just went through a fiasco not too long ago when everyone's HP stopped working because they let their Apple certificates expire.

That was fixed several days later. I gave up on HP drivers for my LaserJet and instead downloaded and installed a "Gutenprint" driver which works even better than the HP one.

However, I'm still on Catalina and really do not know if the "Gutenprint" drivers will work for Big Sur. You can give it a try if you like:

Download the Gutenprint driver version 5.3.3

And, please do not start another thread on this. You already have another post saying much the same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I would try the Catalina driver for your printer. Sometimes they will continue to work, but not all functions may be available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I have an HP 8600 and the upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur worked perfectly for the printer driver. Everything works.

Just curious, what happens if you just add the printer through System Preferences and let the process find a driver?

OP
AJP24
Reaction score
Well by golly, just went to download the Catalina driver and they released one for Big Sur. I would have bet my life that HP (being the LOVELY company that they are) was going to discontinue driver updates for retired printers. Can't believe my problem was solved so easily this time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.