Super Drive problem

Reaction score
All of a sudden I am having a problem where I insert a disc into the super drive in preparation to burn it and after a short time it pops back out. It doesn't happen 100 % of the time (this morning i was successful in loading a disc and burning it )but it is virtually 100 %. This is a new problem. Any suggestions?

Thank you

poppi

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Device and macOS please.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
All of a sudden I am having a problem where I insert a disc into the super drive in preparation to burn it and after a short time it pops back out. It doesn't happen 100 % of the time (this morning i was successful in loading a disc and burning it )but it is virtually 100 %. This is a new problem. Any suggestions?

Thank you

poppi
Just to get the matter out of the way - you are putting the Disk in the right way up? By which I mean, the Silver side of the Super Drive should be uppermost and the Black side on the table.

Sounds crazy, but it's happened on these Forums a few times before.:)

Leaving that aside, and assuming Disk and Drive are the right way up, the Super Drive may be failing or its Cable connection may be suspect. Have you tried inserting the Cable into another port?

And BTW, I found it best to attach the cable directly to the Mac and not through a Hub, for instance.

Ian

OP
P
Reaction score
Just to get the matter out of the way - you are putting the Disk in the right way up? By which I mean, the Silver side of the Super Drive should be uppermost and the Black side on the table.

Sounds crazy, but it's happened on these Forums a few times before.:)

Leaving that aside, and assuming Disk and Drive are the right way up, the Super Drive may be failing or its Cable connection may be suspect. Have you tried inserting the Cable into another port?

And BTW, I found it best to attach the cable directly to the Mac and not through a Hub, for instance.

Ian
Hi Ian. Perhaps my terminology is incorrect. My "Super Drive" is not an external drive but is built into my iMac (on the right side). I am inserting the DVDs with the silver side toward the back. I have tried 4.7 GB discs from two different manufacturers and both are failing.

Breaking news - I just tried a 700 mb disc and it worked. In fact the movie I burned yesterday was on a 700 mb disc. Is it possible the Mac is having trouble recognizing the larger capacity discs?

Yhank you

poppi

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi poppi,

Okay, no problem. It's not called "Super Drive". Super Drive is Apple's standalone device which connects to the Mac via USB.

Your internal CD/DVD drive has a capacity limit of around 700-800 MB. It cannot handle GB disks. It's a very long time since I used one of these, but I'm close to certain that this is the case:)

It's always a pleasure responding to your posts. Thank you.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Okay, no problem. It's not called "Super Drive". Super Drive is Apple's standalone device which connects to the Mac via USB.

Achem... Sorry Ian, but that is not quite a hundred percent correct.

An external CD/DVD SuperDrive
SuperDrive is the name of an optical disk drive made and marketed by Apple Inc. The name was initially what Apple called their floppy disk drive, and later the internal CD and DVD drive integrated with Apple computers.
SuperDrive - Wikipedia

Apple also created a "Super Drive" but it was a different kind of optical disk reader. And of course Apple in order to keep everybody confused called their floppy disk drive a Super Drive as well as I recall.

I am wondering if the non-working properly discs the OP is using are from a brand new batch and are possibly mislabeled as to type. It's happened...

- Patrick
=======

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:oops::oops:

Thanks, Patrick. Been a long time since those days.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Patrick. Been a long time since those days.

Easily done Ian, but gee, don't make my 2011 disc burning 27" iMac seem older than it is, as it might get upset and go into some sort of a fit.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Casting back in my memory, are not the 700GB drives called CD-ROM, but the 4+GB drives are DVDs? And the reader in older iMacs cannot handle DVDs? Or has my memory failed again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Casting back in my memory, are not the 700GB drives called CD-ROM, but the 4+GB drives are DVDs?

And then there was something about dual-layer or double-layer or something DVDs.
I would have to go a-Googling to find out... certainly something that has faded from my mind...

- Patrick
=======

krs

Reaction score
Standard 4.7 inch CD - 700 MB
Single-layer DVD - 4.7 GB
Double-layer DVD - 8.5 GB

I still use all of those

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I still use all of those

It has been quite a while since I burned any disc, but even then I always had to check the specs on the side of the disc container as to the total amount each one could hold.

I think I still have some blank standard CD discs remaining in my cupboard that I was supposed to create some custom CD audio discs for my wife to use in her Nissan X-Trail mini-SUV's disc player. I think it could only use the single-sided CDs.

Maybe one day I will finally and eventually get around to it... ;)

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.