Stolen Device Protection

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
With iOS 17.3 there is, amongst others, a new facility called "Stolen Device Protection".

For those wondering what "Stolen Device Protection" means & how to activate it, this is a good explanation:

Ian

Last edited by a moderator:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Cool. I like it. As these devices are easily stolen, adding another layer of protection is not a bad thing as a deter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It will be interesting to see how it plays out. My wife and I both have iPhones and with it turned on, I can't do the things on her iPhone that I used to do to be her "tech support." Small price to pay for the added security, but we'll see how it goes.

For now, both have it turned on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a question about Face ID. Apple, in deference to the mask-wearers, allows "Alternate Appearance." How different can that alternate be? I am thinking of having my face be the "alternate" to hers, has anyone tried it already?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats an excellent question and my guess that it's not going to work. Face ID works my mapping the dimensions/characteristics of your face, so subtle variations/alterations would be fine, but a totally different face is likely a breakage of security.

Of course, this brings up the question of how identical twins are handled, but I digress. 😃

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just added my own face to my wife's iphone and her face to mine. So now we both can open each other's devices with our own face ID. Nice!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Holy cow, that seems like a security hole to me. But glad it's working for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe, but to set up the "new" faces I had to first log in, then provide FaceID for the original owner, then it would allow an "alternative" FaceID. So, for my phone, for example, I logged in, then Settings > Face ID & Passcode, provide my passcode, then tapped on "Alternate appearance" and only then gave it to my wife to do the face scan process. Same on her phone, she unlocked it, provided her face for Face ID and then I could do the face scan for me. So, not much of a security hole as a thief would still need to have the passcode and faceID of the owner to set up the alternate.

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
It's so easy to appear superior after the event; so pardon me when I admit that over the last 5 years or so, and up to now, my iPhone and my wife's iPhone each have my "Face ID" and her "Face ID" so that we can open each other's. We also have identical Passcodes.

A dear gentleman friend of mine in his 80s has my Face ID along with his on his iPhone in the event that something happened to him.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have a question about Face ID. Apple, in deference to the mask-wearers, allows "Alternate Appearance." How different can that alternate be? I am thinking of having my face be the "alternate" to hers, has anyone tried it already?
Or one might run into Rodney's problem with facial ID - :ROFLMAO: Dave

images.jpeg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's so easy to appear superior after the event; so pardon me when I admit that over the last 5 years or so, and up to now, my iPhone and my wife's iPhone each have my "Face ID" and her "Face ID" so that we can open each other's. We also have identical Passcodes.

A dear gentleman friend of mine in his 80s has my Face ID along with his on his iPhone in the event that something happened to him.

Ian
I always thought the "Alternative" was for masks. But you can have more than one face AND a mask alternative as well for them each, apparently.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I read about this new security measure when I updated my devices yesterday. Given that stealing an iPhone after observing the pin code, a subject we discussed on this forum very recently, has resulted in users being locked out of their Apple accounts and huge sums of money being stolen via Apple Card and/or associated bank accounts.
This new Stolen Device Protection feature sounds like an almost targetted response from Apple. My wife and I will definitely be turning this on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I as others have stated, did not know I couldn't have both my husbands and my face on both our phones. I do all his tech support so it comes in handy plus if something happens to me my entire life is on my phone.

I will have to think about turning on the new Stolen Device Protection feature though. I want to see how smoothly it works or possible doesn't work.

Lisa

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go for it Lisa. Your Face ID and your husband's on each other's iDevices. It's a nice feeling that a person's partner can access that person's iDevices. It just seemed "natural" to me and my wife. Saves a lot of hassles.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I do have my face on his phone but I need to have his on mine. I just realized when I got my iPhone 15 pro I never set him up on it.

On another note - I looked at what my phone considers familiar places. It listed three - home, work, and the YMCA ( where I swim laps several times a week).

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.