Stable Media Server Software for Mac?

Reaction score
Our goal is a wirelessly-controlled "digital jukebox" to put our modestly large music collection on. The lack of high-speed internet access, in our mountainous environment, necessitates an internal wireless home LAN.

After sharing some files between our two [older] MacBook Pros (MBP), I moved the wireless router (WR) out of the office and into where our A/V equipment lives. The first thing I tried hooking up to the WR, via an ethernet cable connection, was our Oppo 105D. Well, after many hours of trying, it would seem that that the SMB file sharing protocols conflict between the Oppo player and the MBPs, so that plan was [eventually] scrapped.

Next, I connected our Sony X800M2 media player to the network, via an ethernet cable connection, and, after more trial and error, managed to change some settings in the Linksys WR's configuration software that, in the end, rendered a solid connection to our home LAN...which brings me a bit closer to the issue at hand.

I researched the Best DLNA server app for Mac and ended downloading a utility called "5KPlayer." Today, after getting the X800M2 to connect to our wireless LAN, I was able to "see" the Sony player on the 5KPlayer's device list, but, unfortunately, I was unable to share any of our digital music files with the Sony's streaming function.

After using this media server software for several hours, I noticed that it would intermittently shut down, which is a sign of instability in my experience. If anyone happens to have any advice about how to get good use out of 5KPlayer, I'd appreciate any tips. On the other hand, if you happen to know of a stable music media server software utility that has proven to work well with Mac OS X, I'd be much obliged for some words about that, as well.

Thank you kindly for your time - Okla :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That's a lot of hoops to jump through. Might I recommend a NAS that will do this all effortlessly. I have a Synology NAS that sports both a DLNA server and iTunes media server. So if I wanted to just play audio, I can use the iTunes server. My TV/XBOX/PS/ATV all have the ability to play videos over DLNA.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's a good idea. I've been thinking about doing that since the last similar gizmo died. In my case, I might also use it to replace a four-disk gizmo that's basically a JBOD.

Which model are you using?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a good idea. I've been thinking about doing that since the last similar gizmo died. In my case, I might also use it to replace a four-disk gizmo that's basically a JBOD.

Which model are you using?

I've got the DS 415+ which is the previous generation model. The DS 418 is the current generation that matches mine, but there are others based on the number of bays and price.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I've looked at several models in that series, including that one. When I looked a few months ago, I almost bought the four-bay model, but the budget was an issue at the time,

OP
O
Reaction score
That's a lot of hoops to jump through. Might I recommend a NAS that will do this all effortlessly. I have a Synology NAS that sports both a DLNA server and iTunes media server. So if I wanted to just play audio, I can use the iTunes server. My TV/XBOX/PS/ATV all have the ability to play videos over DLNA.
I wanted to check you on one thing...Did you read the part about not having high-speed internet access available to us? If your Synology NAS will do all that you described -- on a wireless home LAN (sans internet) -- I will definitely look into that solution.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you share files from devices on your network to other devices on your network, internet speed usually will not be an issue. There are some exceptions to this. Early incarnations of Apple's AirPlay, for example, did not work well when sharing video from one device to another if the internet connection was down.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wanted to check you on one thing...Did you read the part about not having high-speed internet access available to us? If your Synology NAS will do all that you described -- on a wireless home LAN (sans internet) -- I will definitely look into that solution.

Research what a NAS is and you'll get your answer. Amazing the attitude people bring forth when others are trying to provide help. I'm done here.

OP
O
Reaction score
Research what a NAS is and you'll get your answer. Amazing the attitude people bring forth when others are trying to provide help. I'm done here.
Not that it really has anything to do with the issue at had, which is a real shame, but I gave you a like. Isn't that about as good an indication of good faith as there is in this anonymous "cyber" environment?

I'm an overseas veteran who's pushing 60. I know next to nothing about networking of any kind, especially when Mac computers are involved, so I came here for some advice. Isn't that essentially what beginners usually come here for?

I asked about the lack of an internet connection because I've written out elaborate forum posts before and had only one aspect of the post addressed: without the entire issue being taken into account...only to get a response like, "Oh, I didn't see that." Most folks have a high-speed internet connection, so they tend to take that for granted. I don't have the time or the energy for the "...amazing...attitude..." you're referring to, and it would seem that you don't, either, so I honestly don't see why there's a problem.

This is the high road, over...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.