Ssl vpn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Air
Hoping this is the right section for this..

Our IT Guy is not a Mac person. Does what he can, but I need you folks even more now.

I need to get my SSL VPN on this Airbook. I'm running Sierra (brand new Mac) and hear Sonicwall does play nice with Sierra. Likes older versions.
Netextender is what I use on the PC, but here it's not Mac compliant.

Those running Sierra, what are you using?

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Air
After reading up a bit more I decided to give Sonicwall a go. Connects fine.

Now I need a good step by step as to how to hookin to the work server so I can read our files..

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Air
Guys, Sonicwall puts me on a VPN, but does not put me in the server. IT is not Mac based, so I'm reaching out.

My understanding is I should just have to go to Finder>Connect to server> type smd:// xxx.xxx.x.xx
Well that's not happening, so I'm still missing something..

Anyone here log into work for home and can help me get set up please?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I use a VPN to connect to my work network and I used Tunnelblick which is an OpenVPN client to do it. Ask your IT guy for the instructions on how to use the SSL VPN if you were on a Windows machine. If he would've given you an OPVN file or other information, that will help in figuring this out. If a OPVN file is an option, then Tunnelblick will work for you..

If, however, you are already on the VPN but just need help getting connected to specific servers, you might want to tell us how that should happen? Assuming your network is all Windows machines, it might be over SMB. In this case, you would hit CMD+k on the Desktop and type in SMB://xxx.xxx.xxx.xx, you might have to pass in a username along the way somewhere..

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Air
The SMB addy is what gave me, yet no connection to the server.
Tried a few times, then shut down the laptop (old windows trick) re-started and tried again. No Joy..

I also found the CMD+K short-cut. Really cool if I could get it to work..

One article I read spoke of not even using a VPN, just going CMD+K and using the addy..
This true? Or do I need the VPN?

I just shot him an email. He's at our office tonight running through the desktops. Hopefully a response with something useful.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Do the following, disconnect the VPN and then open up the Terminal and type
Code:
ping -c5 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

If you get "Request Timed out" or "some other error", then that's fine..

Now, connect the VPN and do the same test in the Terminal and see if you get nice responses which look like:

64 bytes from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: icmp_seq=0 ttl=55 time=13.346 ms
64 bytes from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: icmp_seq=1 ttl=55 time=13.346 ms
64 bytes from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: icmp_seq=2 ttl=55 time=13.346 ms
64 bytes from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: icmp_seq=3 ttl=55 time=13.346 ms
64 bytes from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: icmp_seq=4 ttl=55 time=13.346 ms

Then you need to be connected to the VPN to see the server and communicate with it. If you get an error in BOTH situations, you are not really on your company's VPN.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Air
Update. Spent an hour with IT last night going through all this. Ends up I was on the VPN (he could see me on it), yet not linking into the server.

So Sonicwall had me there. The IP (smd addy) was also correct, just not allowing me in.
What ended up happening was a new path into the server was created for me and now I'm in!

Very strange the path I've been using didn't work, but it wasn't.

I don't know how many times IT blamed it on the "Dam Mac", only to find out it was the server "Windows". Ha!

Anyone else having the same issue, ask IT to create a new path in the server for you and hopefully you don't waste hrs trying to figure it out!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.