So frustrated....connecting a G1 iPad Air to a VGA projector

Reaction score
I worked so hard to get a few dozen videos onto my old Gen1 iPad Air through Files / Photos / iCloud. The schools I teach at all use the same model of VGA projector. I bought a VGA-to-lightning adapter but it did not work at all today. Just did not pick up the video signal at all. I've take a photo of the setup and wondered what's not right here?

I did ask someone who knows tech and he said, "VGA to HDMI. Then HDMI to Lightning" but I'm not sure why I can't do VGA-to-lightning directly. Help would be AMAZING. Weary teacher here.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
You say:

Just did not pick up the video signal at all.
However, was the iPad sending the signal, and the projector not receiving, or was the iPad not even sending the signal, i.e. you definitely had an output

OP
AJP24
Reaction score
Well, it works when I hook it up through my laptop (different adapter) so…iPad?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
This article suggests that you should be able to go Lightning to VGA with an adapter and that all you need to do is plug the adapter into the iPad and select the source on the display.

Since you've confirmed that the VGA cable from the projector is working and you've selected the right source there. The issue is potentially with the adapter. You do not need to jump through Lightning->HDMI->VGA. If you have an Amazon prime membership, you might grab a few adapter with free returns and try them all out to see which one works consistently and return the rest.

The other option, of course, is go purchase the official Apple adapter (if that isn't what you're using) which should absolutely work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
The other option, of course, is go purchase the official Apple adapter (if that isn't what you're using) which should absolutely work.

Using Apple products cuts out any third party issues.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.