Should I invest in motion sensor for iPhone to capture wildlife?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
I have an iPhone 8 Plus that is running iOS 13.7. I want to capture videos of birds washing in my bird bath. Is it worthwhile to invest in a motion sensor app for my iPhone to accomplish this? And if I do, how do I know the app is safe to download to my iPhone without security issues?

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Is it worthwhile to invest in a motion sensor app for my iPhone to accomplish this?
"Worthwhile" is an internal judgement call. Only you can answer that question. To put it another way, how much are you willing to spend to get these bird pictures/videos?
And if I do, how do I know the app is safe to download to my iPhone without security issues?
The safest way to get this app, assuming it exists, is through the Apple store. They, at least, test it for some security. But I this iPhone is going to be dedicated to taking bird pictures, you can always clean everything else off of it so that even if it's not secure, there is nothing there but bird pictures.

I just went to the App Store on my iPhone, there are several motion detectors there. I didn't look to see if any of them trigger the camera to record, but you can do the research for what you want.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I don't think you want to do this with an iPhone, but I'm sure there are other cameras out there with motion sensors built in just for this sort of thing. Think something like the Nest Cam.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
They, at least, test it for some security. But I this iPhone is going to be dedicated to taking bird pictures, you can always clean everything else off of it so that even if it's not secure, there is nothing there but bird pictures.

Good suggestion. I never thought about testing my iPhone for security. I have to learn how to do that. And cleaning my iPhone so I can use it only for taking bird pictures is also smart. However, I can't afford to do that.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
As a very amateurish photographer, I'd suggest:

1. Upgrade your iPhone to iOS 14

2. Forget about a motion sensor if you are committed to using the iPhone.

3. If your budget can stand it, invest in a DSLR (even at the low-cost end), consider any with motion sensors or add-on sensors.

4. Use a tripod with any camera you decide to go with, including your iPhone.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.