Should I buy a new iMac?

Reaction score
So I am in the market for a new iMac. I have wanted one since they first came out but only now have got the cash(kinda convienent now that they have figured out most of the bugs:Smirk:)). I particularly want the 27 inch i7 iMac. I am a photography student so the big (ips)screen would be great for editing photos now that color accuracy seems to be pretty good. Also I do a lot of photo merging(panoramics) and HDR. When working on photos I always have photoshop and lightroom open at the same time. So I could definitely use the i7 processor. Especially with 64-bit processing coming on CS5 and LightRoom 3. My question is whether you think I should wait for the iMacs to be upgraded. I have been looking at this iMac Buyer's Guide - Mac Guides and I think maybe I should wait. However I feel like the upgrade will be incremental and maybe not worth the wait. If I buy now I will wait until a refurbished i7 shows up on apples site to save some money. If I wait I will have to wait but will have the latest and greatest(but pay a little more). I am just not sure if it is worth it or not. Also it is really close to summer and I won't be using it heavily until late August. What do you guys think? Sorry about the long post.:Oops:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The iMac just got an upgrade in late 2009 and will not be getting an upgrade for a while to come..and now that the screen issues have been deal with..I think it's a good time to pick up an iMac..

I went the refurbished route to get my i7 iMac and couldn't be happier..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
Just ordered a refurbished 27" C2D iMac. I wanted the quad core, but chose the cheaper 27" model. I adore my 20" and I am impatiently waiting for Fed Ex to deliver next week. Now I wonder if I will sell my 20" iMac or let my children use it? My daughter has already taken over my Mini, she loves to watch movies on it. My plan was to buy the 21.5" model, but after playing with 27" iMac at Best Buy this week I knew I would not be satisfied with the smaller screen of the 21.5" model.

Reaction score
i do photo editing as well, and my powerspec pc from 2004 was not cutting it anymore. i decided to make the switch and went to the apple store with the intent of buying a 21.5" imac. i was more than likely going to buy the upgraded version of the 21.5". wound up walking out of the store with the base 27". while i sometimes regret not at least getting the i5, i didn't have the cash to spend at the time, as i was already like $400 over budget with the 27". i have CS4 (that i never use), but i do use lightroom2 on a regular basis. my old computer wold bog down frequently when trying to use photomatix, CS3 or even lightroom. i could only run 1 at a time, and not even go on the internet. anyhow, i am content with my core 2 imac. next time around though, i will be much more prepared and save the extra cash for the better processor. but i dont think there is anything wrong with the core 2.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the advice. I ended up biting the bullet yesterday on a refurbished i7. I saved abut $240 so I am happy. I am not too worried about the refurb and can not wait until the computer comes in!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Good decision :) I'm sure you'll love that beast

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Do you guys think the i7 is worth $200 more then the i5?

Thanks

If you're all set on purchasing a quad-core and can afford the extra $200..I'd recommend it..

On the Geekbench performance, the i7 seems to be give you about 20% more performance than the i5..the better future-proof you can make yourself, the better..besides, $200 is a reasonable price for the upgrade..if it was something like $500 or something..I'd not bother..

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.