Sharing issue. All of the sudden I have no acces.

Reaction score
I have always shared video from my windows 10 pc to my imac (el capitan) wirelessly without issue. No all of the sudden any new movies that I put in my movies folder, it says that I need to contact an admin. I am the admin on both computers. The MAc sharing has me, my pc accoutn and everyone with read/write access yet any new videos will not open. What could be causing this and how can I ensure all sharing is correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Have you tried sharing individual folders, rather than the root drive?

I run a PC with Vista with the following settings:

E: and F: shared

In General, for both shared folders, all settings are checked: Full Control, Modify, Read and Execute, List Folder Contents, Read and Write

Advanced Permissions

Share This Folder checked
Permissions: Everyone: Read Allowed

The two shared drives are visible in Finder on my Mac. The PC has a wireless card, btw.

If I understand it correctly, Permissions are critical to sharing in Windows. Simply setting Sharing won't always do what you want it to. You need to set full access for sharing, then use permissions to limit what access you are giving to shared folders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Also what version of OS X are you running on the Mac and what version of Windows are you running on the PC? Have you recently updated either of the computer's OSs? What I am wondering is if you have recently updated one or the other and new security settings were set.

Lisa

OP
M
Reaction score
This is why I despise apple products, if anything updates, everything stops working. I am running windows 10 pc with an external HD attached to it. I can copy files to mac but cannot watch any that I copy. I have a folder in downloads on the mac that has read/write for everyone and I still get "you do not have permission contact administrator. I am the Administrator!!!! Why would updating throw off everything? Every time? I am just copying files!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did ask what version of OS you were running as I know with Sierra there was some interesting security features put into place. I frequently transfer files to and from my mac and pc. Quite a few are videos I have produced. Sometimes I get a message that I do not have permission to transfer from my mac to the pc but if I restart the transfer it will work. I have not experienced any issues with playing any videos. Without knowing what type of video you are trying to play or what potential codex issues you might be experiencing all I can suggest is to make sure everything is up to date. I do know with Sierra an update was released to address a codex problem for playing some videos.

Now as to updates and having things quit working.....Windows has Apple beat hands down. I work as an IT in a predominantly Windows environment. Windows 10 has been a hit and miss with the computers we have. The first big anniversary update caused two of our computers to melt down and I had to roll back the update. Now there is another one coming out soon and I can hardly wait for the issues that may develop. And there is also the fun of dealing with virus issues.

If a previous version of OS worked you can always roll it back.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Now as to updates and having things quit working.....Windows has Apple beat hands down. I work as an IT in a predominantly Windows environment. Windows 10 has been a hit and miss with the computers we have.

I'm not making excuses for Windows here... but let's remember that Microsoft has ten times the problem that Apple has making its updates compatible with hardware. Apple only has to deal with one type of hardware - its own. The Windows gurus have to deal with all sorts of hardware from A to Z. Not an easy task. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not making excuses for Windows here... but let's remember that Microsoft has ten times the problem that Apple has making its updates compatible with hardware. Apple only has to deal with one type of hardware - its own. The Windows gurus have to deal with all sorts of hardware from A to Z. Not an easy task. ;)

I agree with you. When Microsoft made the decision years ago to develop only the operating system and not the hardware, they inherited a vast array of hardware to write code for. Unfortunately both companies have the unenviable job of trying to create an operating system that works for all their consumers while fending off all the malware issues that get thrown at it. The best both companies can hope for is to try to keep the majority happy while staying ahead of the virus/malware/hacker exploits - not to mention user idiosyncrasies!

But I was making the point that Windows can be much more frustrating to work with than Apple OS.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.