• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Senior Software Developer question

Reaction score
I recently had an interview for a senior software developer role and they asked me questions about how I would design a Twitter.
They asked me on the spot and kind of off the cuff.

Just curious how you all would answer this question.

On top of this, they asked me questions regarding infrastructure in relation to database architecture so like database master/slave setup.
I don't understand how as a software developer they expected me to know questions that I think are more for a DevOps or IT person really.
Are these questions fair game for a software dev?

Just curious what you all think.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you are a senior software developer, you should have an idea of how to construct a twitter-like application. You should be able to break it down into the different pieces, front end, back end, database, communication, etc.

The expectation during the interview is not to actually build it, but have the ability to break it down to talk about how to potentially build it.

And the other questions are absolutely accurate and nothing to do with DevOps or IT.

As someone whose been doing this for 20+ years and been hiring engineers at all level for 10 of those, I have a pretty good handle on this. PM me if you want to discuss specifics..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
As someone whose been doing this for 20+ years and been hiring engineers at all level for 10 of those, I have a pretty good handle on this. PM me if you want to discuss specifics..

That is certainly very generous and kind of you to offer your knowledge and services like that, and with that length of service, I would imagine you are very close to getting ready to retire from the software development world... and you have certainly seen things a lot of things change during that time I'm sure... ;)

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your question is intriguing. My son is a software engineer, so I asked him about it.

As an aside, my son not infrequently has to interview potential new hires. He says that when a potential new hire is scheduled to show up for an interview the CEO of his company will come out, see who is available, and he will randomly choose a programmer or two and tell them that they are to conduct the interview. (The way that he describes it, it sounds like many folks are screaming in their head "Not me! Not me!) LOL.

My son says that any interview question in his field really boils down to one of two things.

If you are a programmer, the question isn't actually asking you to create anything, it is all about seeing your thought process for any task you are presented with.

If you are interviewing for a senior (management) position, questions presented are designed to see how you would go about leading a team. How you'd organize things, what steps that you would take, etc.

I hope that this is helpful.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That is certainly very generous and kind of you to offer your knowledge and services like that, and with that length of service, I would imagine you are very close to getting ready to retire from the software development world... and you have certainly seen things a lot of things change during that time I'm sure... ;)

- Patrick
=======
Not quite patrick..still got a long way to go before retirement, but definitely have learned a lot during the course of the two decades so far..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Not quite patrick..still got a long way to go before retirement, but definitely have learned a lot during the course of the two decades so far..

Sorry Ashwin, my mistake, I read your previous post as "20 years programming plus another 10 years hiring" = 30 years total programming involvement.

Anyway, a total of 20 years is still a long time working at a trade.

- Patrick
=======

OP
J
Reaction score
Your question is intriguing. My son is a software engineer, so I asked him about it.

As an aside, my son not infrequently has to interview potential new hires. He says that when a potential new hire is scheduled to show up for an interview the CEO of his company will come out, see who is available, and he will randomly choose a programmer or two and tell them that they are to conduct the interview. (The way that he describes it, it sounds like many folks are screaming in their head "Not me! Not me!) LOL.

My son says that any interview question in his field really boils down to one of two things.

If you are a programmer, the question isn't actually asking you to create anything, it is all about seeing your thought process for any task you are presented with.

If you are interviewing for a senior (management) position, questions presented are designed to see how you would go about leading a team. How you'd organize things, what steps that you would take, etc.
Lemberg Solutions | Embrace the Challenge
I hope that this is helpful.
thank you so much for your help really appreciate that

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.