Selecting scanner for use with MP Navigator on a Mac

Reaction score
Using a Canon scanner/printer.

When I go into Navigator and set it for either using the platten or the document feeder it asks me to select the scanner it does;t come up with a list of scanners./drivers like it used to - the section box is empty and you can;t navigate around folders to find one.

any ideas how to fix.

Have dowloaded and installed new drivers and programmes with latest versions of software to no avail.

The device works fine as scanner/printer from the Canon MX series scanner controller but that does;t have the facility to create multi-page PDFs like Navigator used to let me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Can you see the scanner when you go into Image Capture as opposed to MP Navigator? I can usually only see my scanner (canon 9000F) in one or the other without changing the Twain settings.

Incidentally I have found the support from the Canon UK and US sites really awful ( I mean really, really awful) and found the latest drivers are best found on the canon-asia site. Might be worth looking there in the first instance.

OP
G
Reaction score
Can you see the scanner when you go into Image Capture as opposed to MP Navigator? I can usually only see my scanner (canon 9000F) in one or the other without changing the Twain settings.

Incidentally I have found the support from the Canon UK and US sites really awful ( I mean really, really awful) and found the latest drivers are best found on the canon-asia site. Might be worth looking there in the first instance.

Yes I can - I can also see it using the Canon Series app - and it scans but no facility/ability to save as PDF.

I downloaded four programmes from the asia site but it made no difference to being able to detect the scanner in MP Navigator.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
If you want to create multi-page PDFs then Image Capture will do that (re the last sentence of your initial post). Did you check out the TWAIN settings when you load MP Navigator?

OP
G
Reaction score
If you want to create multi-page PDFs then Image Capture will do that (re the last sentence of your initial post). Did you check out the TWAIN settings when you load MP Navigator?

Where can I find those? Can't even find reference to TWAIN in the help section of the programme.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I load MP Navigator having last used Image Capture I get the following message: "The scanner is assigned to ImageCapture. Do you want to use the scanner with TWAIN? Then two buttons No and Yes. When next running Image Capture no scanner is recognised but in the Image Capture Menu the option 'Reset TWAIN devices...' is shown under 'File'.

However, if in MP Navigator I tick the box marked 'Use Scanner Driver' then the Twain error message does not appear and i can scan using that program even though I last used Image Capture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
G
Reaction score
In MP Navigator are you ticking the box 'Use Scanner Driver'?

Yes, but it's still coming up blank.

The peculiar thing is that when I can using the Canon application "Canon MX430 series" it identifies the scanner no problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I now cannot think of anything else to try. I know that Canon support, shall we say, leaves a lot to be desired as understanding the problem and coming up with a solution are alien concepts to them, but as a last resort they may be worth a try. Do try their support in different countries though as your local support may be as useless as mine. Asia support has proved good for me, UK and US less so.

One last thought - have your tried their Image Garden (daft name) software. It's supposed to be a replacement for MP Navigator. I've never got it to run on my 9000F even though it was shipped with it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.