Seeking external storage of about 120/250 GB fast and reliable.

Reaction score
Sorry I'm becoming fuddled - I wrote this in French instead of English!

Last edited by a moderator:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Fixed the title for you. I hope that is correct.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Bienvenue Garoolgan,

Well, as there are only three (or is it down to two) actual manufacturers of External Hard Drives (EHD) - brand names don't mean they make the drive - I suggest you make a short list of your needs.

For example, Mains-powered or bus-powered (i.e. powered via the USB port on your Mac). Given that you are seeking a very modest storage capacity, this will almost certainly be USB-powered. USB 3? Target price? - you get what you pay for generally. Does it need to be "rugged" for heavy-duty carrying around? Or something you are likely to keep at home or carry carefully?

Amazon (France) has a huge selection and if you filter according to the answers to the above questions, you will find plenty to choose from. Then, read the reviews very carefully.

Of course, you can use the Internet - Western Digital (black); LaCie, (I'm a fan, but many others aren't); Seagate (I'm not a fan, but some are).

This Link may help a bit: http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/storage/external-hard-drive-1292181

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Pretty vague subject I'd say and a pretty small size by todays standards, but I'd suggest first figuring out what connections and type(s) are available for use.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I actually thought the request was for a Cloud backup facility, and was going to offer a three-year unlimited storage service from Albion iStore (Apple retailer in the UK) - I have a sealed pack I don't need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I actually thought the request was for a Cloud backup facility,

Could have been I guess, I never thought of that, but I'd suggest that the two requests mentioned "fast and reliable" would negate that as an option. ;)

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.