Screen damage?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
I recently sold my A1418 mid 2014 iMac but the buyer rejected it because of dust under the screen. As has been discussed elsewhere screens from this date are glued so dust seems unlikely unless being shaken on its journey could have released stuff. I have attached a camera shot of the screen. I had hoped that using a screenshot could be compared with previous screenshots but all that showed was a clear screen, a pity because I would then have been able to prove its condition before sending it.

A1418 screen.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
A screenshot just shows what is in the GPU memory that is being sent to the screen. So a clear image means the GPU is fine. The photo looks like dust to me. You might look at ifixit.com to see how hard it is to get the screen off that particular machine to get rid of the dust. You will need to do the repair in a dust-free environment with lint-free materials to be sure to not leave anything behind.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I recently sold my A1418 mid 2014 iMac but the buyer rejected it because of dust under the screen. As has been discussed elsewhere screens from this date are glued so dust seems unlikely unless being shaken on its journey could have released stuff.

We've already mentioned that iMacs from that manufacturing period could develop very small imperfections in the glass to display cement. Not all iMacs, but some.

And the way the cooling mechanism works, cool air is drawn up thru the bottom vents beneath the display and warm air is exhausted out from the top vents. That drawing in of the air can act like a vacuum to suck dust and other debris like pet hair into the iMac.

If there are very small separations between the glass and display, dust can get trapped between. It appears your iMac was affected.

It is possible that the shipping of the iMac (if it was jostled around by the carrier) could cause the separations to get worse or increase. Anyway, not much you can do about it other than replacing the display. And that would likely be expensive. You could try selling the iMac as is on eBay.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We've already mentioned that iMacs from that manufacturing period could develop very small imperfections in the glass to display cement. Not all iMacs, but some.

And the way the cooling mechanism works, cool air is drawn up thru the bottom vents beneath the display and warm air is exhausted out from the top vents. That drawing in of the air can act like a vacuum to suck dust and other debris like pet hair into the iMac.

If there are very small separations between the glass and display, dust can get trapped between. It appears your iMac was affected.

It is possible that the shipping of the iMac (if it was jostled around by the carrier) could cause the separations to get worse or increase. Anyway, not much you can do about it other than replacing the display. And that would likely be expensive. You could try selling the iMac as is on eBay.
That's useful info. I've been in touch with eBay and, although they insure items that go through their courier they have suggested I speak to the carrier to ask for compensation. Once I have exhausted that process I will put it on eBay again although I am likely to get a lot less for it. I wonder if it would be worth trying a powerful vacuum cleaner under the vents at the bottom of the casing?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A screenshot just shows what is in the GPU memory that is being sent to the screen. So a clear image means the GPU is fine. The photo looks like dust to me. You might look at ifixit.com to see how hard it is to get the screen off that particular machine to get rid of the dust. You will need to do the repair in a dust-free environment with lint-free materials to be sure to not leave anything behind.
Although I do have an iOpener that you stick in the microwave and then place on the screen to warm it up to melt the cement comments on other people's attempts suggest tampering with the screen would be risky.

Unfortunately Apple has now applied what they call vintage status to the A1418 so repairers won't touch it and the cost of a screen is way more than the value of the iMac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unfortunately Apple has now applied what they call vintage status to the A1418 so repairers won't touch it and the cost of a screen is way more than the value of the iMac.

Apple won't repair it but an independent repair service would likely do the repair but it would still be expensive.

I wonder if it would be worth trying a powerful vacuum cleaner under the vents at the bottom of the casing?

You can give that a try. I have a 2017 iMac that I just the other day used a vacuum to clean the bottom vents. I was surprised at the amount of coagulated lint and dirt that was removed. Removing the lint and dirt resulted in the iMac running temperature being reduced by 10 degrees F.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple won't repair it but an independent repair service would likely do the repair but it would still be expensive.

As Apple have closed some/all of their UK stores during lockdown I did speak to an Apple approved repairer. It was e who said that it was a vintage machine that they wouldn't touch.

You can give that a try. I have a 2017 iMac that I just the other day used a vacuum to clean the bottom vents. I was surprised at the amount of coagulated lint and dirt that was removed. Removing the lint and dirt resulted in the iMac running temperature being reduced by 10 degrees F.
Some stuff came out through one of the vents but it doesn't seem to have removed the spots on the screen; anyway it certainly hasn't done any harm so thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some stuff came out through one of the vents but it doesn't seem to have removed the spots on the screen; anyway it certainly hasn't done any harm so thanks.

The dirt or dust is probably trapped between the glass and display. Very difficult to remove it without separating the glass.

You might be able to find an independent repair service (not Apple authorized) that will repair the iMac for you. However, if it's like here in the US, they usually are less reliable and may in fact overcharge.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Forgive what may be a silly question but how did you check the running temperature please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Forgive what may be a silly question but how did you check the running temperature please?
There are third party products, like iStat Menus, that will show the various sensors within the Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.