Sandisk Media Drive changes dates on transfer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I purchased a Sandisk Media Drive to backup images from iPhone and my DSLR SD card. Viewed via the Media Drive iPhone app all the images show the correct dates, but on transferring the images to my iMac all the dates (creation/modified etc) are changed to dates approximately 28 months prior. Sandisk agree this is odd behaviour and that on transfer the dates should be changed to the date of transfer - a feature of the drive !

Has anyone else with a Sandisk Media Drive any experience of files dates either being changed or indeed remaining correct?

I have found a workaround which is not ideal and certainly not as slick as the Sandisk transfer purports to be: Using the Sandisk app, transfer files (or at least that number of files that will fit at any one time) from the Media Drive to my phone, import them into iPhoto (letting iPhoto delete imported files from my phone), export them to my iMac, then repeating as necessary until all are transferred. This way does have the advantage of keeping original files dates.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I purchased a Sandisk Media Drive to backup images from iPhone and my DSLR SD card. Viewed via the Media Drive iPhone app all the images show the correct dates, but on transferring the images to my iMac all the dates (creation/modified etc) are changed to dates approximately 28 months prior. Sandisk agree this is odd behaviour and that on transfer the dates should be changed to the date of transfer - a feature of the drive !

Has anyone else with a Sandisk Media Drive any experience of files dates either being changed or indeed remaining correct?

I have found a workaround which is not ideal and certainly not as slick as the Sandisk transfer purports to be: Using the Sandisk app, transfer files (or at least that number of files that will fit at any one time) from the Media Drive to my phone, import them into iPhoto (letting iPhoto delete imported files from my phone), export them to my iMac, then repeating as necessary until all are transferred. This way does have the advantage of keeping original files dates.

Simply transferring (copying) a file shouldn't result in the creation date being modified at all. Not to a date in the past, not even the current date. It should be the date the original file was created. I'm looking over SanDisk's forums and this has been a long-time complaint from various users. If preserving the creation date is important, I'd consider not using that SanDisk device. It simply doesn't sound trustworthy.
http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDis...ive-and-iPad-Modifying-file-dates/td-p/302037
http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDis...-Being-Changed/m-p/339233/highlight/true#M623

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Simply transferring (copying) a file shouldn't result in the creation date being modified at all. Not to a date in the past, not even the current date. It should be the date the original file was created. I'm looking over SanDisk's forums and this has been a long-time complaint from various users. If preserving the creation date is important, I'd consider not using that SanDisk device. It simply doesn't sound trustworthy.
http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDis...ive-and-iPad-Modifying-file-dates/td-p/302037
http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDis...-Being-Changed/m-p/339233/highlight/true#M623

Agreed that dates should not be changed at all, yet SanDisk have told me that it's actually designed to change the date, in fact ALL dates, to the date of transfer. I have been unable to get them to tell me why they think that is a good idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I wonder if using an app like iMazing would improve things when transferring files and maybe keeping the proper dates:

I think their Free download allows some trial runs:
https://imazing.com

PS: I had the same type of problem moving files to a different drive volume (not sandisk) but never figured out why. I just thought it was some new&improved OS X "feature", but it seems to be better lately. But neither am I using the "latest & greatest" OS !!! :Smirk:

- Patrick
==========

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.