Safari - sudden magnification of images on screen

Reaction score
(MPB 16 inch with OS 12.1 and Safari 15.2)

Sometimes a slight movement of the mouse will cause the image on the screen to suddenly get magnified. This happens when I'm using Safari. It must shoot up by 60% or more and it's not easy to reduce it to fit onto the screen. Is there some way of preventing this from happening? Or at least to quickly reduce the image size? I wonder whether other people have this problem.

Thanks in advance - M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
What mouse? What year MBP? What have you tried already to reduce the size?

OP
M
Reaction score
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) with OS 12.1 and it's an Apple Magic Mouse but I can't see a model number for the mouse.

When this sudden magnification occurs, I can (rather crudely) reduce the size using the key stroke:
Command and the minus sign.

However, the above reduction that I get with Command and the minus sign following this sudden magnification is not smooth and the image gets pushed over to one side.

If things are working normally (as now) I can reduce (Cmd and minus) or increase (Cmd and plus) and the image goes nicely big and small.

But it's disconcerting when the image suddenly shoots up for no apparent reason (it never reduces).

M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Turn off double tap on the mouse. It is called "Smart Zoom." System preferences/Mouse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X version 10.11.6, iMac early 2011, MacBookPro
Turn off double tap on the mouse. It is called "Smart Zoom." System preferences/Mouse
Thanks! It worked on my new iMac and Magic Mouse!

OP
M
Reaction score
OK and many thanks to 'MacInWin' for that piece of advice ... interesting that this was causing problems in Minnesota, too. Anyway, I've done the deed.
M

Reaction score
OK and many thanks to 'MacInWin' for that piece of advice ... interesting that this was causing problems in Minnesota, too. Anyway, I've done the deed.
M
I have been having the same problem, but I didn't know how to fix it. Thanks so much for this question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Me too. Glad I have a read from you knowledgeable people.

Reaction score
This sudden magnification happens on my iMac occasionally. Don’t know why, and I wish it wouldn’t because it’s a bit startling when it occurs. I get rid of the blowup by clicking on Actual Size under View in the top menu. It returns the screen size to normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This sudden magnification happens on my iMac occasionally. Don’t know why, and I wish it wouldn’t because it’s a bit startling when it occurs. I get rid of the blowup by clicking on Actual Size under View in the top menu. It returns the screen size to normal.
It comes when the mouse/trackpad detects what it thinks is a double tap. That's controllable, as I said in post #4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Also, command + 0 will return display to regular size.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Yep, just tried it and it works. Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Also, command + 0 will return display to regular size.
I did not know that. Hopefully I will remember that the next time I turn this feature on by mistake.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.