Row of bars following cursor

Reaction score
I'm working on a 2006 MacBook Pro and I have replaced the drive and reinstalled Lion. Everything seems to work great for a while, but then I'll be on line and my cursor will have a series of bars appear over it, making it impossible to click on anything. The last time it happened, the arrow switched so that it was pointing to the right. The only way out is a hard shut down. Anyone ever have this happen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I have not experienced that issue, but, if the original drive is still in there, it could be dying. Have you run Disk Utility > Repair Disk, on the drive? You may also want to give Repair Permissions a run through also.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since you replaced the hard drive, I would have to guess that the problem you're experiencing has to do with the graphics. Many of those older 2006 and 2007 MacBook Pros had problems with the graphics chipset. Apple was even repairing them for free at one time, however, that has long ago expired. Might be time for you to think about replacing the machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.