Return MacBookPro?

Reaction score
So, I recieved a 2.4ghz MacBookPro (old version) with Nvidia 8600GT for my bday. However, I have read and researched the 8600GT heat problems and I saw Apple's response on free repair. I am worried that all 8600's will go bad and just repairing them is just a band aid and even the repaired gc will go bad again. Should I exchange my old version and get the newer MBP with 9600GT?
I would have to pay an addtional $420 out of my pocket. My build date is the 39th week of 2008(Sept. 21-27). I assuming this was one of the final builds of older model. Did Nvidia upgrade or change the gc material on later builds to prevent the heat problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
How about using that money for AppleCare? Then you would be all set for 3 years. I love my previous generation MBP and frankly love the matte screen. Just an idea. I have had zero problems and I know several others that have had none. You never know, but your current notebook with AppleCare (if you are worried) sounds like a solid plan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro
I've also got one and haven't had any problems with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.