Restore MAC from Chromebook Flex.

Ian12

Reaction score
Hi.

I’m more used to working on Windows PC’s, so my knowledge is bringing me up short with this.

I have a couple of older Mac’s here that I rescued from going to landfill. However, when I boot them, they’re both going in to Chrome Flex. Is there a way of me resetting these to default / Mac OS, or does it end up being more trouble than it’s worth? I’ve heard that they have a way of locking parts of the actual hardware that almost renders them unusable. Is this correct?

I’m not sure what model they are. I was told that they’re about 6-7 years old. They are big, heavy units with what looks like a 27” display or thereabouts.

Thanks in advance.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If macOS is still installed on there and Chrome Flex is just an app that first starts up, and the version of macOS is recent enough, you might be able to get back into recovery console using "CMD+r" when powering up to then erase the drive and re-install the OS.

If that isn't the case, then your only recourse is to get an installer of macOS on a USB stick using another working Mac and then boot into it on this Mac and do a re-install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.