Reset password

Reaction score
Hi. Can anyone please help me? I need to reset my password as I forgot the old one. I do currently have access to the computer.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
We will need a bit more information if we are to help.
I'm guessing you are talking about an iMac but I can think of at least 5 different answers to your question dependant on which password you are referring to, which Operating System you are using, what type of account you have etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Hi. Can anyone please help me? I need to reset my password as I forgot the old one. I do currently have access to the computer.

What kind of access do you have ?
Are you currently logged in or are you trying to log in ?

Cheers ... McBie

OP
Y
Reaction score
Hi. I can log onto the computer. I am trying to update my Adobe flash player but it is asking for a password and I can't remember the password and it is asking for the old password when I try to change it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's asking for your Admin access password so that the software can make changes. If you have forgotten your Admin access password (the one you originally set up as Admin of your computer) then you will have to reset it. Otherwise you will not be able to make any changes to your computer or software that require the password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hi. I can log onto the computer. I am trying to update my Adobe flash player but it is asking for a password and I can't remember the password and it is asking for the old password when I try to change it.

Unless you using some really old OS X or Adobe Flash, it should be installed and available in your System preferences with the updates tab available to check and other options, and should be available as you say you've already logged into the Mac.

And I'm assuming you're logged in as an admin user, otherwise you'll need to use an admin username and their password. Or get the admin user to login and do the update.

PS: Be very careful and cautious of any webpage telling you to click and install flash. It could very well be some nasty malware.

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Maybe like many people you are the only user of this device and have set your User/Account settings so that a login password is not required at startup. This is a good way to forget your admin password unfortunately.
So yes you will need to reset it whether or not you decide to install the software in question.
It would be helpful at this point to know what operating system you are using as methods vary dependent on what Mac OS you are running.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.