• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Repairing A Broken Skillet Handle

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Maybe someone out there has a fix for this problem. Any suggestions/ideas are appreciated. The more idiot-proof the idea the better.

Mrs. Slydude has a stainless steel skillet with a handle that is starting to crack. The skillet has a short metal extension and the handle is finished off with two pieces of plastic/bakelite or such held in place with a couple of screws. The fix is obvious but I can't seem to find the right part.

I've Googled this numerous times and can't find the right match. This skillet is a few decades old and the screw holes that attach the handle to the skillet are on the top of the skillet. All of the replacement handles I can find are either:

1, Designed with the screw holes on the side of the pan, These handles have a seem right in the top of the handle and I'm a little reluctant to try drilling holes there for fear it cracks the new handle. I also don;t think I have a counter sink bit to get the screws flush mounted.

2. Some of the replacement handles have a metal end on one end of the handle that I don't think will attach well to the metal extension already on the body of the skillet.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2013 27" stuck forever on Catalina
Maybe you could go to a carpenter, or someone who's into carpenting and have them fabricate one for you?

Or someone who has a 3D print and can print one for you?

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hadn't thought of the 3D printing option. I do know one or two people far better with woodworking tools. I will probably ask one of them. The downside is I lose the opportunity to convince Mrs. Slydude that I am a tool genius. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Mrs. Slydude has a stainless steel skillet with a handle that is starting to crack. The skillet has a short metal extension and the handle is finished off with two pieces of plastic/bakelite or such held in place with a couple of screws. The fix is obvious but I can't seem to find the right part.

A close-up shot or two of the cracked handle would be nice Sly, but what about using a good industrial glue, such as JB Weld or equivalent???

- Patrick
=======

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
JB Weld or something similar might be worth a try.

She pulled it out to use earlier today. I'll try to get a good screenshot and post it before she puts it away. Apparently, she has this notion that things should be put back where they belong after each use.

The cracks aren't to bad right now but are gradually getting worse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
JB Weld or something similar might be worth a try.

I have to admit that the JB Weld stuff is incredible for holding power and what it can withstand.

But I meant to add that most good kitchenware has the Maker's name on the bottom which I am sure you have looked at, in case you wanted to contact them and see if they could not supply you with a new replacement handle. Maybe they would send you a whole new fry pan.

To take things further if the Maker's name has been worn away, most police forces have Labs available to be able to read such faded-out information and maybe they could help you out and supply you with the original name that has since disappeared from the normal location.

Another choice would be to take several photos of the handle and use the Google image search to see if you could not find a good replacement match and supplier.

Just thinking out loud and you definitely need to keep the Cook happy and content with her equipment.

Maybe even think about buying her a good quality Wok she could use as a replacement and enjoy a new experience in meals and cooking.

- Patrick
=======

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Google searches have proven pretty useless to this point but I haven't given up on that yet. The photo search you spoke of is worth a try. I haven't tried that yet.

The maker's name seems to have worn away over the years though given the pan's age and design I suspect it might be Revere Ware. When I pull it out of the dishwasher I'm going to try magnifying things a bit and see if that helps.

I do have a couple of buddies in local law enforcement but I think much of the lab work is not done locally. If I show up with a frying pan asking them to look for a maker's mark I may be subjected to a friendly interview with some of the local head candler's. I'd like to avoid that as much as possible. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2013 27" stuck forever on Catalina
To take things further if the Maker's name has been worn away, most police forces have Labs available to be able to read such faded-out information and maybe they could help you out and supply you with the original name that has since disappeared from the normal location.

CSI Louisiana ;)

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is probably the info you need: Older Handles - Revere Ware Parts
Thanks. There's quite a bit of information there. I think I had that site at one time and lost it. The issue I have run into is that most of the handles I've seen have the hotels on the side of the spline for the screws to attach. My skillet has holes in the top of the spline. I've got a few more to look through though.

My brother is pretty handy with tools. I bet he could drill appropriate holes in the side of the spline of our skillet. I'm not quite as handy with tools as he is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The issue I have run into is that most of the handles I've seen have the hotels on the side of the spline for the screws to attach. My skillet has holes in the top of the spline.

Maybe you just need to turn the skillet over 90°, so that the holes are then on the side. :goofy

Seriously though Sly, are those holes for rivets (missing or not) or what???

I must say that is not a normal method of attaching Bakelite handles, especially for top-quality cookware. Like good knives, the handles would normally be attached with rivets through the metal spline and the handle halves from side to side.

Maybe you could throw in a screenshot of the actual Skillet handle and its crack so we could get a better understanding of the problem.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.