Removing Photos From iPhone XR

Reaction score
I have 25,000 photos and videos saved to iCloud. I have 19680 pictures and videos on my phone taking up 7Gbs of space. I would like to keep the photos in iCloud but remove them from my phone.

I turned off iCloud Photos. I got a message asking me if I want to 'Remove from iPhone' The phone then tells me it is going to remove 19,680 photos and videos. I confirm the action and as far as I can see, nothing happens. How long should it take to remove that number of photos. How do I know if the photo removal is actually happening?

I tried logging out of iCloud and deleting the photos but as far as I can see nothing happened.

In iCloud, when I check the photos section, I note there is a an upload button. If the photos are already in iCloud, where are they uploaded to?

Advice please!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
In iCloud, when I check the photos section, I note there is a an upload button. If the photos are already in iCloud, where are they uploaded to?
This usually refers to uploading images from your winOS/macOS PC through your browser, is that where you're logging into iCloud?

In regard to the images being removed from your iPhone, it could take a while, as that is a lot of images you want to delete, in my opinion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.