Removing misspelled words form Yosemite

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Thanks MacWin - as I noted in the request - my Local dictionary is empty - Zip zilch - nothing - not one word is in there. The directions said to drag it to the Trash -
Wherever they are at, I am sure there are a lot of them - like Asai - not a word, but not shown as misspelled - it even gives me my misspelled words as an option to choose! I am sure I must have hit "learn" by mistake -
Appreciate any other suggestions of where they are

Think you may be barking down the wrong tree.

After testing 3 computers, and knowing that both my wife and I have not added this word to the dictionaries on our computers...

The only word you have provided, "Asai" is in the dictionary and recognizes it as a surname. If you type "asai" - it will recognize that is a misspelled word and provide multiple options including "Asai" as the correction.

Only more evidence that a spell checker still cannot replace proofreading as in the intial error in the thread title of "from" and "form".

Last edited:
OP
E
Reaction score
spent a couple hours with Apple support - They do not know how to clear the misspelled words either - they did find my hidden Library, but no local dictionary was there - they have copied the files and have the developing team working on the issue.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This is all very strange. Everyone should have the "Local Dictionary" file in their User library whether or not words have been added to it. It's there by default. I'm wondering if you were looking in the right place? Did you follow the directions I gave you in my last post above?

OP
E
Reaction score
Hi chscag,

Yes I did do as you suggested - and going to GO and then holding the option key takes me to the attached - no spelling folder

Apple said they cannot explain it either -

It seems there seems to be challenge we may not be able to resolve - not sure.

appreciate you remarks and suggestions chscag - much more than the the perfectionist and critic bobtomay!

Thanks again, Ed

screen2 copy.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for the screen shots. Yes indeed, you're missing the entire "Spelling" folder. How that happened is very strange. I'm wondering now if you may have gotten a bad upgrade to Yosemite? What you might consider doing is download and install the combined Yosemite upgrade which will include 10.10, 10.10.1, and 10.10.2. Sometimes the combo upgrade cures errors.

Edit: I just noticed that you're also missing several other folders which should be showing up in that screenshot.

OP
E
Reaction score
chscag - that isa great idea - Senior Apple advisor is on the case now - I will run by your suggestion to him - he was flustered he could not find it or a local dictionary, but yet had so many misspelled words.. I think your idea makes most sense - thank you for sharing it.

Enjoy your evening

Reaction score
Hello Edbonse,

Your courteous response to "MacInWin", which you (unintentionally?) addressed to "MacWin", could indicate that you may be mildly dyslexic, as I believe I am. I don't know if there are tests to discover one's situation is this area as I've never inquired.

I can remember numbers quite well but if asked to repeat them, say in a telephone conversation, I will often say the numerals in the wrong order. When writing sentiments and wishes on a Birthday or Christmas card, I have to write a draft first, to make sure my dyslexia does not spoil the grammatical correctness of what I write.

Sincerely, PaulRanger.

P.S. In popular films, the best 'nod' to dyslexia existing is an opening scene from a later "Naked Gun" movie where a newspaper headline reads "Dyslexia found for cure!!!". Beautiful!

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.