Removing hard drive from 2006 iMac

Reaction score
So I was cleaning out my parents garage and came across their 2006 iMac flat screen large I believe 24 inch. Anyhow, this thing according to my parents has not been used in over 4 years as it would no longer turn on (repair shop said it was a bad logic board). Anyhow I would like to remove the hard drive and recycle this thing but I was reading something about the screen on this model retaining some type of charge that could potentially shock you regardless of how long its been unplugged. Was wondering if anyone had any info on this, any help greatly appreciated

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not true. Only the older CRT (cathode ray tube) displays could retain a static voltage charge because of the high voltage needed to drive them. The 2006 iMac flat panel display is an older LCD and does not retain a charge. That model is safe to take apart and remove the hard drive. You can read the instructions on how to do it at www.ifixit.com.

Also, I bet that 2006 iMac does not have a defective logic board. The power supply probably has failed but I guess that doesn't matter since it's been laying around for 4 years and likely not worth repairing.

And welcome to our forums.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Anyhow I would like to remove the hard drive and recycle this thing...

If you're willing. You could try selling it on eBay or Craig's List and make a few bucks. There may be someone out there who may be willing to invest some $$$ in it to get it working again...or purchase it for parts.

If you "recycle" it...depending on what sort of recycle operation this is...they may simply strip the precious metals from it...then send it thru a chipper-shredder.:(

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
If you're willing. You could try selling it on eBay or Craig's List and make a few bucks. There may be someone out there who may be willing to invest some $$$ in it to get it working again...or purchase it for parts.

If you "recycle" it...depending on what sort of recycle operation this is...they may simply strip the precious metals from it...then send it thru a chipper-shredder.:(

- Nick

Thank you guys for your help!

You know I was thinking the same thing, maybe get it repaired and just use it for music. Its a nice looking machine but my parents were quoted at 500 bucks for a repair which doesn't sound like its worth it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You know I was thinking the same thing, maybe get it repaired and just use it for music. Its a nice looking machine but my parents were quoted at 500 bucks for a repair which doesn't sound like its worth it.

Yes...many many times with an older computer like this...getting it repaired professionally is out of the question. About the only way it's possible to make sense of things financially is repairing it yourself...or with a friend that may be willing to help. This way costs are kept as low as possible. But even on your own...the cost of the parts (even used parts) can be more than the computer would sell for (working or not working).

In this case...the $500 you were quoted was probably for a logic board replacement. But as suggested...it could be possible that it's just the power supply...which would be a good bit less $$$ than a logic board. But to determine what's wrong exactly...some troubleshooting would be necessary (replace good parts for possible bad parts).

This is why I suggested selling it (eBay or Craig's List). This way...someone else who wants to take on the challenge can foot the bill (or simply use it for parts).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.