Removing duplicate photos from Photos

Reaction score
I have waaaaaaay too many duplicate photos in Photos.

My Photos currently has just over 48,000 photos!!! I checked an old external harddrive that had an old library on it and I think once it was loaded it installed all the photos in my current library.

Either way, always good to clean up duplicates.

I searched the site and most posts were from 2015.

So, what are people using these days? I do not mind paying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
So, what are people using these days? I do not mind paying.

I usually end up doing a search at macupdate.com to see what is available and then maybe check out some of the ratings and user comments to see what they may have to say, not forgetting that some comments could be biased.

And "Free" also gets my attention!!! :D

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Unlike Patrick, I don't fully trust macupdate.com, so I look first at the Mac App Store and search for something appropriate, like "Duplicate Pictures" or just "duplicate" and see what pops up. I read the review and how many reviews there are to get an idea, then do an internet search on the product I think I might want to see if there is a review or independent comment.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
For what it's worth I use Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro. Have been using this for a few years now with no complaints. See; https://www.duplicatephotosfixer.com/
Just as a hint, you might like to try Duplicate Photo Fixer on iOS. If you eliminate duplicates from your iPhone (assuming that is the source of most of your photos) you can "head them off at the pass" so to speak by removing them on the phone before you load them into Photos.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Easy photos cleaner Pro is good and quite simple to use as well. But be careful when deleting the duplicates because I don't think it has a file recovery feature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I use Photo Sweeper which is £9.99 from the App store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.