Relative Links in Mac PowerPoint

Reaction score
Relative hyperlinks do not work in PowerPoint 2011 or 2016 for Mac. Relative links work fine on my PC, but not on my Mac, which enters my full computer address for the file instead of just linking to the folder and file where my presentation rests. That means that if I open the presentation on another computer, it can't find the file. Any help is appreciated.

Reaction score
Hello,

Did you ever find a solution to this problem ?
Because we are expereincing the same situation. If you make a simple relative hyperlink to an object in the same folder as the powerpoint presentation, it is broken if you copy the folder on another machine...
But this simple feature works on Windows...

Thanks for your reply.

OP
L
Reaction score
Very unfortunately, I have not solved the problem, which is exactly what you are experiencing. Therefore, I have opted to create all of my PowerPoint presentations on my PC instead of my usual Mac. I even spent considerable time talking to the MS Office folks, who simply could not figure out what was happening. Bummer. Maybe Microsoft doesn't like us working on Macs! Please post a solution here if you find one. I gave up. Thanks!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Does this tip help solve the problem?

[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_light]Link to a different presentation[/FONT]
  1. In the [FONT=wf_segoe-ui_semibold]Insert Hyperlink dialog box, click [FONT=wf_segoe-ui_semibold]Web Page or File[/FONT].[/FONT]
  2. Click [FONT=wf_segoe-ui_semibold]Select and then click the presentation or file you want to link to.[/FONT]
    [FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]NOTE: PowerPoint for Mac can't link to a specific slide on another presentation.[/FONT]
See here

OP
L
Reaction score
The instructions you provide work on PCs only. That's how things are supposed to work, but don't. Thanks for trying. L

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Sorry. Wish I could have been more help. To be honest I find PowerPoint to be more confusing than it needs to be.

The last time I had to do anything that needed that program I got it done in far less time using Keynote and then saved the file in PowerPoint format.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The last time I had to do anything that needed that program I got it done in far less time using Keynote and then saved the file in PowerPoint format.

I guess it's because I'm been using Powerpoint for years on end that I find it much easier to use than Keynote. I'm not a lover of any of the iWork apps although they are getting better with each upgrade. One good thing I will say for the iWork apps is they're a lot less expensive (free) than Mac Office. ;D

OP
L
Reaction score
You and chscag have inspired me to go to Keynote, which I've never used. Glad to find out that presentations can be saved in PP. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Be careful when saving Keynote presentations to Powerpoint format as they don't always turn out the way you expect. And vice-versa opening Powerpoint presentations with Keynote. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.