Reducing video sizes in Photos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook pro 8gb
I am shortening lots of videos due to storage issues on my Mac but they still retain the original size, and I don't need the extra footage and would be able to halve the file size of most. I don't want to compress them, just trim! On my iPad I can trim and save as new clip but the trimming function in iOs Photos is terrible. Thanks for any assistance-

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm probably not the best person to reply to this because I don't do videos, however, I believe you can trim them with iMovie and possibly QuickTime. Sorry, that's about all I can suggest for now. Our Moderator Slydude can probably instruct you on how to do it. Hopefully if he's not busy today he will reply to you.

Stay tuned. :)

krs

Reaction score
I use SimpleMovieX to trim videos

PS: Just noticed that this will only work up to Mojave, ie it's a 32-bit app with no path forward.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm probably not the best person to reply to this because I don't do videos, however, I believe you can trim them with iMovie and possibly QuickTime. Sorry, that's about all I can suggest for now. Our Moderator Slydude can probably instruct you on how to do it. Hopefully if he's not busy today he will reply to you.

Thanks for that vote of confidence Charlie. Hope I live up to it. I'd rather not have to return a hat or two. :)

QuickTime can indeed edit the video to trim out unwanted footage and then save the resulting trimmed file. Give these directions a quick read This feature isn't exactly obvious when you open the program.

You can also use iMovie to trim video although I don't use it as much as I used to. I find it overkill for simple trimming of the video though you may prefer it. This video should get you started.

If you run into problems post back and I'll see if I can help.

BTW what type of video is it (.mov, mp4, mts, etc)? If the videos won't open in QuickTime they would have to be converted to an understandable format first.

Last edited:
OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook pro 8gb
Thanks for that vote of confidence Charlie. Hope I live up to it. I'd rather not have to return a hat or two. :)

QuickTime can indeed edit the video to trim out unwanted footage and then save the resulting trimmed file. Give these directions a quick read This feature isn't exactly obvious when you open the program.

You can also use iMovie to trim video although I don't use it as much as I used to. I find it overkill for simple trimming of the video though you may prefer it. This video should get you started.

If you run into problems post back and I'll see if I can help.

BTW what type of video is it (.mov, mp4, mts, etc)? If the videos won't open in QuickTime they would have to be converted to an understandable format first.

Thanks. That's my feeling, that putting it in iMovie or QT is an overkill process for a quick fix. I just figured it out in Photos. I forget to use the menu bar enough! To create a new reduced Gig video, after I trim it my usual way in Photos, go File>Export>put it in desktop, then get it in Finder and pop back into photos and delete the older high Gig version. I don't need the original raw material in these tiny videos.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for posting back with that fix. I haven't used Photos for trimming video so that would not have occurred to me. I'm sure some of our members will find it useful.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I haven't used Photos for trimming video so that would not have occurred to me.

I am amazed at some of the things that Photos can do. I was not aware that Photos could be used in that way. As you can see, I'm not a photographer. My wife is the photographer in our family. :goofy

AndyX

Admin
Reaction score
I use QuickTime to trim videos, it works fantastic because it doesn't require the use of an Export, simply Trim and click Save to quickly create a new trimmed version of the video.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.