Recommendations on Monochrome Laser printer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
My Epson ink jet doesn't get regular usage so i have to clean the black inkjet everytime I use it. I print infrequently and never photos so I figure a wireless monochrome laser printer with FAX capabilities would replace my Epson. Seems Brother makes most recommended Lasers, but I read where they can be problematic with OSX I and currently maxed out at High Sierra for my mid 2011and will eventually get a Max Mini or another desktop.
Looking for recommendations from my learned colleagues for what will work with High Sierra and when i migrate to newer hardware.

Pete

Reaction score
My Epson ink jet doesn't get regular usage so i have to clean the black inkjet everytime I use it. I print infrequently and never photos so I figure a wireless monochrome laser printer with FAX capabilities would replace my Epson. Seems Brother makes most recommended Lasers, but I read where they can be problematic with OSX I and currently maxed out at High Sierra for my mid 2011and will eventually get a Max Mini or another desktop.
Looking for recommendations from my learned colleagues for what will work with High Sierra and when i migrate to newer hardware.

You definitely want to go with a Brother. I've been recommending them for over a couple of decades. (I also have a fleet of Brother laser printers in my office.) While all brands of printers have had their problems with Macs at some point, Brother has, BY FAR, been the best at supporting Macs and Mac users.

Brother laser printers also traditionally offer the best combination of quality, features, longevity, and price.

Before purchasing make sure that any model that you are considering has downloadable drivers available for your version of the Mac OS.

It's hard to give you a specific recommendation without knowing your needs. Do you need a sheet feeder? Duplexing? Ethernet? Wireless? You can make a choice here:

https://www.brother-usa.com/home/pr..., Copy, Fax]&f:technology=[Black/White Laser]

I recommend that you only purchase from a vendor with an excellent return policy (like Amazon) and using a credit card (like American Express) that will intercede for you if you get a product that doesn't work properly and they refuse to take it back .

I DO NOT recommend a Hewlett Packard printer. While their hardware tends to be good, their support for Macintosh users can, and has too many times, been putrid.

One other nice thing about Brother laser printers is that you can usually find very high quality, but extremely low priced, third party consumables for them. Let me know what model you end up purchasing and I can steer you to a place for consumables.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I had a similar problem several years ago with an Epson printer and tried Canon printers before settling on a Brother all-in-one inkjet model because I sometimes print in color.

I sometimes go a week or so without printing something and have had no problems with ink clogging. For the last couple of years I've used third-party consumables with no issues.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Slydude, Bought a Brother MFC-L2710DW from Amazon. Also bought 2 extra toner cartridges from Amazon. Easy setup on my iMac. But wife's Dell laptop has no CD opening. Guess I need to check with Brother to get them to help me on this or see if wife's Dell can download it from Brother.
Like the way I can leave it dormant but it comes to life when you print.

Pete

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Surprise, surprise. The Dell I guess tuned into the Wi-Fi and had the Printer ready. Printed a test page. All good. Pete

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for letting us know what you decided. I considered a Brother laser when as an option but at the time I needed color printing and opted for an inject all in one.

My wife was pleasantly surprised when her Win 10 box did the same thing. The only issue she has is every once in a while the computer will behave as though it has lost the printer and she has to force it to reinstall the driver. It doesn't happen very often though.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Never installed any drivers on the Dell. I removed my epson printer software from the Dell and when I went to look for a printer, it had the brother computer on the Dell. Just printed a sample page and it worked. Maybe it is somehow using the Brother software installed on the iMac over my wireless network.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's what usually happens for us. No installation necessary. Om rare occasions something seems to go wrong. Deleting the driver seems to force things back to square one and we can basically do what you did.

In the several years we've had the printer it has only happened once or twice. Not enough of a PITA to even worry about IMHO.

Reaction score
...Bought a Brother MFC-L2710DW from Amazon. Also bought 2 extra toner cartridges from Amazon. Easy setup on my iMac. But wife's Dell laptop has no CD opening. Guess I need to check with Brother to get them to help me on this or see if wife's Dell can download it from Brother.
Like the way I can leave it dormant but it comes to life when you print.

You can download the drivers for your multi-function, for either Windows or the Mac, from:

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=us_ot&lang=en&prod=mfcl2710dw_us_eu_as

My experience is that Amazon is a really unreliable source for toner cartridges for laser printers. Often the quality of third party consumables from Amazon vendors is abysmal.

I usually get my laser printer consumables from one of these two sources. One or the other usually has just about the lowest price you can find, yet very high quality/reliability:

Printer Ink & Toner Cartridges | Swift Ink

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.