Rechargeable batteries for Magic Mouse

Reaction score
Some years back I bought from an Apple Store some silver, rechargeable AA batteries for my Magic Mouse. They were far, far better than the ones I was getting elsewhere. Now they have all conked out ... when I put them in the charger, the light flashes and they don't hold their charge. Do Apple still sell these? Alternatively are there other good quality rechargeable AA batteries that will go into my Apple charger? I think the new Magic Mouse charges directly via a USB cable. But I really don't want to buy a new mouse.
Thanks in advance.
M

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You are correct. The current incarnation of the Magic Mouse charges via a USB to Lightning cable. For me, the more annoying thing is that the charging port is underneath the mouse which means it's impossible to use the mouse effectively while it's charging. On the upside, you get an early enough low battery warning that you'd probably be able to finish the day and let it charge at a convenient time.

I don't remember if I ever used the Magic Mouse that you have but I did use the Magic Keyboard of the same vintage. I had good luck using the Duracell rechargeables and I suspect they would be good in the mouse as well. I think the batteries I used were lithium-ion as opposed to Ni-Cad. I did not use Apple's charger since the kit I purchased came with four batteries and the charger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I loved the Apple batteries as well.

I recommend getting a whole new unit with the batteries. If you were just to buy rechargeable batteries, they may not work properly with the Apple charger.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I used a kit like this one. I spent a little more on the one I have because I bought extra batteries. At the time, we were changing batteries in several devices over to rechargeables.

OP
M
Reaction score
OK - well, if you think the Duracell are good enough, I'll go for those. And I'll get the charger, too.
I tend to use Duracell for other bits and pieces.
Thanks
M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
OK - well, if you think the Duracell are good enough, I'll go for those. And I'll get the charger, too.
I tend to use Duracell for other bits and pieces.
M

Hi Mikeo... - wife uses the new Magic Mouse w/ the Li Ion batteries/lightning adapter charging, although I kept the Magic Mouse from our old iMac as a backup - used a variety of Ni-MH rechargeable (Energizer, Duracell, & Eneloop) - all seemed to do OK - never owned the 'Apple' ones which of course were not made by Apple but repackaged Panasonic/Sanyo AA rechargeable (see quote below - check link, if interested). So, any of these brands that come w/ their own chargers (try to get a 'fast' charger) should work fine. Dave :)

P.S. for those w/ just one 'wireless' Apple mouse, like my wife who does not seem to notice the low battery indicator and lets her mouse die - always have a backup ready! Like I said, still have the old Magic Mouse, but also a USB corded MS cheapo from Amazon, in case the BT goes out? Be prepared (have a corded keyboard, too). :cool:

The fact is Apple invented the sleek light weight elegant looking safer Charger, but they did not venture into the batteries. Apple actually unbranded the Panasonic / SANYO eneloop AA Batteries and bundled these with Apple AA charger. Apple has now discontinued both the products from their store as new Apple Keyboard, Magic Mouse or Trackpad has inbuilt Lithium ion Battery and charges with Lightening cable. (Source)

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi Mikeo... - wife uses the new Magic Mouse w/ the Li Ion batteries/lightning adapter charging, although I kept the Magic Mouse from our old iMac as a backup - used a variety of Ni-MH rechargeable (Energizer, Duracell, & Eneloop) - all seemed to do OK - never owned the 'Apple' ones which of course were not made by Apple but repackaged Panasonic/Sanyo AA rechargeable (see quote below - check link, if interested). So, any of these brands that come w/ their own chargers (try to get a 'fast' charger) should work fine. Dave :)

P.S. for those w/ just one 'wireless' Apple mouse, like my wife who does not seem to notice the low battery indicator and lets her mouse die - always have a backup ready! Like I said, still have the old Magic Mouse, but also a USB corded MS cheapo from Amazon, in case the BT goes out? Be prepared (have a corded keyboard, too). :cool:

OP
M
Reaction score
OK and thanks for that detailed reply.
I guess that within the coming months I'll get a new MPB and, along with that, a new mouse.
However, I'll keep the existing set-up for a while, at least, as a back up.
M

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.