Random green lines

Reaction score
I am sorry if this is on another post, I did a search and nothing came up for it. I have a Late 2013 27" iMac (MF125LL/A) with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M GPU. For about the past 3 months, my display will randomly have green lines and a green haze on the screen and if I move a open doc down to the bottom of the screen it will start to flicker on the bottom 2 or 3 inches of the screen. It does not always do this, and it is completely random. Has anyone else experienced an issue like this and what was your resolution? When there is no green on the screen, it functions as normal and display is perfect. I will say that I got on the phone with apple ( of course its not under warranty) and it said it is a hardware issue due to the fact that when I turn off the iMac, the green haze and lines will show up when it gets powered on before the apple logo. So I am trying to figure out if its my GPU, Actual Screen or backlight.....any assistance would be appreciated. If there is any information needed that I did not supply, please let me know and I will get it for you.

Thank you

Michael

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
This is likely a GPU issue. Did you not purchase the AppleCare warranty to cover the iMac through 2016? As an all-in-one computer, a failing GPU means replacing the logicboard and that's the guts of the system and will run you about $800..

I would take it to a Apple store and have them diagnose the problem and perhaps with failing hardware (not due to your doing) they might replace it or do something to not making it so painfully expensive..

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestion, but I was really trying to avoid taking it to them. I know its not under warranty anymore and I know the techs at my local Apple Store and them replacing it or making it not so painfully expensive is not not an option.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thank you for your suggestion, but I was really trying to avoid taking it to them. I know its not under warranty anymore and I know the techs at my local Apple Store and them replacing it or making it not so painfully expensive is not not an option.

What other options do you think you have that aren't going to to be expensive??

If the graphics hardware on the logic board has failed or failing…and the logic board needs to be replaced…here are your options:

- Take it to Apple for the repair (expensive).
- Replace the logic board yourself (less expensive…but still expensive).
- Sell the computer for parts & get a new computer.

If there's a hardware problem…then the failed hardware needs to be replaced.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Nick. You really don't have much of a choice especially after Apple has already told you it's a hardware problem. Even if you did find a logic board at a reasonable price, replacing an entire logic board on an iMac is not something that most people are capable of doing. Something to consider.... Apple has a flat rate depot repair program for situations as yours. Their flat rate charge is much less. Take it on in and have them diagnosis it and ask about their depot flat rate repair charge. The depot repair, however, may take a week to 10 days as the machine would have to be sent out from the Apple store to the repair depot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.