Raid 1 > raid 0.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See "Signature".
This concerns the G5 in my signature. At the time of this story, I was running two 400GB WD Caviars, RAID 0.

I came downstairs Friday at 7am to print out a revision of a paper on my way to class. My machine froze up. I rebooted it to a grey Apple logo and a grey circular thing.

I went to class. The professor believed me, sort of.

I came home and ran Apple's Hardware Test. Good. All good. I booted from the OS disk. Bad. Disk Utility would not recognize one of the HD's. Law of probability: 1, RAID 0: 0.

I have (but more importantly, HAD) several projects, reports, and labs in the works. In addition, I lost three full semesters of work. When you're a mathematician, that tends to sting a little.

I went out after work and purchased two WD Caviar 1TB "Green" HD's. They are now living life as a RAID 1 set. The probability of both of those units going kaput in tandem is <0.25%.

The moral: I had a few warning signs that I ignored. Or misjudged. A few times when awakening the machine from sleep, it froze up. I even posted about this around Christmas time. Second, I had a few random freezes. I presumed that this was either from the logic board going bad, or from a faulty HD controller. In either case, S.M.A.R.T. status showed that the disks were alive and kickin'. Additionally, the freezes seemed to go away with me adding a UPS / Conditioner. How wrong I was. I should have backed my data up then and there. Don't let this happen to you. Back that thang up.

Then, reformat and go RAID 1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.