Questions about Chrome Remote Desktop

Reaction score
I asked these questions on a Google forum but never got a reply. So, I hope that you can answer these questions.

I have a Mac mini & a MacBook Pro.

I installed the Google Remote Desktop software on my mini. Then I aborted the installation of the host software because I wasn't sure about which computer to install it on - mini or laptop. On which do I install the host software? I suppose that I don't install the host software on both, do I? I'd rather access my mini from my MacBook Pro than the other way around. So, I suppose that the host software is installed on my laptop, right? But suppose that I want to access my laptop from my mini. Wouldn't I need to install the host software on my mini? Wouldn't there be a conflict if the host software is installed on both my mini & my laptop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Just install the Chrome extensions on all machines. It handles the host client relationship itself.

You may be sold on Google solution but I'd recommend looking at TeamViewer. I find it more reliable and robust than the Chrome solution. There are OSX, iOS, Android, Windows clients. All free for non-commercial use.

OP
D
Reaction score
I think that I read that there's no sound on a Mac when Google Remote Desktop (GRD) but there is sound on a PC.

My mini goes to sleep after about 15 minutes. I don't know if GRD wakes up a sleeping Mac or not.

Well, I'll play around with both.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
There's a handy tool called Caffeine. Grab this. It lets you set times on-the-fly for when your Mac sleeps

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.